• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular chest mount (1 Viewer)

The picture below is from a book, Exploring the Night Sky with Binoculars by Patrick Moore, I have a pair of Opticron 15x70 which I use not only for Astronomy but bird watching. Quite often I find a tripod an encumbrance and a contraption like this would be useful as I tend to sit in a chair and watch the birds and wildlife around me.

I haven't seen anything like this for sale and wondering if it was 'homemade'. Any ideas?
IMG_4302[28760].jpg

Knowing Patrick, he either made it himself or had a friend make it.

I met him first in 1957.

His Guide to the Planets taught me, although later on I disagreed with some of his statements.

Regards,
B.

Knowing Patrick, he either made it himself or had a friend make it.
I was wondering the same, Phil Ringsdore and Reg Spry lived in Selsey and was very adept at making weird contraptions so it could be one of theirs. I wasn't into birdwatching when I knew Patrick alas so didn't ask him about it.

I suppose I might be able to make one but I was thinking of the easy way and let my bank account take the strain!

I have a metal contraption, that is an adjustable pole with a shaped cross bar above that works quite well.

But I never use it.

An IS binocular makes much more sense.

I have also used a mirror mount, but found it to be similarly a nuisance, although it did show how awful binocular edge performance is.

All these contraptions are to me a nuisance compared to a good IS binocular.

With my 20x80, 20x70 and 20x60 binoculars, car roofs, fences, window frames, trees, lamp posts, resting on windows hinged centrally and horizontally, and mostly pressing the front rubber against the window provided enough stability for good views.

The 10x25 is very good stabilised by a lamp post.

Pressing against window glass and the window frame is good for the 30x50 Yukon folded refractor binocular.
It resolves 6.5 arcsecond double stars for me.

Regards,
B.

I have a device called a Freshold Binocular Support, it's really old (although totally mint), has a jessops sticker on the box...!

I've never actually used it but I've held onto it just in case I get a pair of high magnification binoculars and want a relaxing view through them

There's a pic in this thread, although there are straps on mine which go around your neck and also hold the legs from spreading too wide - Show me your stick! - Binoculars - Cloudy Nights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back