• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID from from Buenos Aires (1 Viewer)

EllenTarbox

United States
While visiting Buenos Aires we spotted this raptor. We only got flight photos. I think it could be a Black-and-chestnut Eagle. I have 3 photos that are fairly clear. Here is the 1st photo. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6383-21.jpg
    IMG_6383-21.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Welcome to BirdForum, Ellen. I think your bird is probably a Harris's Hawk. It looks too small for an eagle and I think is also much more likely in that area.

I'd agree with Harris Hawk

Roll on the the new field guide, it's called 'Bay-winged in Narosky and Yzurieta

Last edited:
Was Harris another of those ghastly slave-trading imperialists like McCown et al.?

Don't know. I think Bay-winged is used for the southern subspecies (Brazil/Argentina & environs), don't think it applies to the one from the US (which ranges down to sort of Peru-ish area if memory serves).

No controversy here, this is a Harris's / Bay-winged Hawk, whichever you care to call it.

Black-and-chestnut Eagle is a scarce/rare resident species in the Yungas (cloud forest), and doesn't occur anywhere even close to Buenos Aires (the southern extent of the Yungas in Tucuman province must be 1000-1500km distant?). Spizaetus Hawk-Eagles are also structurally really different, but you don't need to consider that to know that you will never, ever see any of them in Buenos Aires :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back