• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Query - Point Reyes, California (1 Viewer)

K B Srinivas

Hello,
I was going through my archives and I found some of the below images. Just wanted to confirm the Bird ID of these.

1. Is this a Common Loon?
DSC_8709 (2).JPG

2. Is this Red-throated Loon?
DSC_8689 (2).JPG

3. Is this a Black Scoter?

DSC_8739 (2).JPG

4. Is this a Common Murre?

DSC_8617 (2).JPG

5. Is this a Pelagic Cormorant?

DSC_8613 (2).JPG

6. Is this a Lesser Scaup?

Scaup.PNG

Thanks,
Srinivas.

Last edited:
#1 I think nonbreeding/immature pacific loon. Very clean black/white border on neck (common should have a "broken white collar"), reddish eye, prominent half-an-eyering (lower half), possibly just visible "chinstrap".

#2 I'm leaning common since the bill doesn't look upturned to me.

#3 I'm thinking immature male surf scoter - bill pattern with that dark spot on the side

#4 yes, common murre

#5 yes, I think the foreground bird is too shiny to be anything but pelagic cormorant. Background bird looks to be the same size, so presumably pelagic as well.

#6 Not going to guess which scaup.

Last edited:
Hello, I live 20 minutes away from point Reyes. I agree with Narteb with the post above. Any more detailed location about the scaup. They overlap in range over a good section of the county, but there's a few areas where one species is a lot more dominant than the other. It's always hard to call them on image, especially with a bird that isn't too obviously one species such as this one.

#1 I think nonbreeding/immature pacific loon. Very clean black/white border on neck (common should have a "broken white collar"), reddish eye, prominent half-an-eyering (lower half), possibly just visible "chinstrap".

#3 I'm thinking immature male surf scoter - bill pattern with that dark spot on the side

#4 yes, common murre

#5 yes, I think the foreground bird is too shiny to be anything but pelagic cormorant. Background bird looks to be the same size, so presumably pelagic as well.

Thank you for helping with the identification of the birds.

Thanks,
Srinivas.

#1 is likely a pacific loon. Would suggest Lesser for the scaup as suggested above, it does look like theres the very small hint of a tuft. Unsure on the scoter, but the murre is correct. That's as far as I'm willing to venture. Need to sharpen up with American species more.

#4 yes, common murre

Should have said "agree with all these". Scoter is surf scoter

(2) looks quite petite and small-billed, however with those neck markings I can't see how it could be anything but Common Loon

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back