• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Watcher vs Birder (1 Viewer)

You're too hard on yourself. The early explorers and naturalists didn't have cameras. Did Janszoon keep quiet that he discovered Australia, because he didn't have a camera?

I guess the early birders shot their sightings and had them stuffed as proof of their discoveries, but while I admire your obvious diligence, I'm not sure that 'digital shooting' is necessary as proof of a sighting. (And what if your camera fails?)
Very true.

Just looked at your gallery KC. Some great ID shots there. I can now understand why you're so keen to capture an image of what you spot... it looks like what you do - and very well too.

I don't allow myself to add a new bird on my list unless I have a photograph of it. ;)
Given that you're pitch perfect and hearing is your forte, why do you allow others (who, like me, struggle with sound) to dictate to you what does and what doesn't constitute a tick? Recording can be equally rewarding as photography, and you don't need a parabola or external mic to do it.

Given that you're pitch perfect and hearing is your forte, why do you allow others (who, like me, struggle with sound) to dictate to you what does and what doesn't constitute a tick? Recording can be equally rewarding as photography, and you don't need a parabola or external mic to do it.
You've got a point O :)

Down on the river whilst fly angling I pursue bird watching as well as fish. There I am a bird watcher.
Here at home I think of myself as a bird facilitator...
"Facilitator?"
Yep. As a bird facilitator I build and maintain bird boxes for those lovely birds who frequent my yards, the tree swallows, bluebirds, house wrens, and chickadees. I facilitate a safe environment for their broods and cull when necessary any predator species, especially snakes. What do I do with the snakes? I facilitate meals for the turkey and black vultures by simply laying out the snakes to bake in the sun down on the hillside along the creek and the vultures always find them within a few days. (Incidentally that hillside is downwind from the house.) When the vultures arrive I take off my facilitator hat and put on my bird watching hat.
Bon appétit, vultures.

Last edited:
Beginners would be looking for 'birdwatching'- my friends at school know what that is- 'birding' is more professional- my friends don't know what that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back