• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding near Bogota Colombia (1 Viewer)

BirdsPeru

Alejandro Tabini
I would like to know if someone knows of good birding places near Bogota, Colombia. I will be going for business next month for two weeks and would like to spend the weekends birding there.

Thanks in advance for any tips

Alejandro

Hola Alejandro.. como estas!... veo que preguntaste hace un par de años, pero si aun tienes interes en venir a bogota o a Colombia a observar aves!.. contactame que con mucho gusto puedo guiarte... este mensaje lo respondí a alguien buscando observar aves cerca de bogota tambien.. espero te sirva... saludos, Diego.

"La Florida is a great place inside the city where some endemics and near-endemics can be easily spotted..
I was the birding guide of Jeff and friends' trip in Nov 2007 (see his posts at http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=102265, called "Gringos Attend 20th Annual Colombian National Birding Encounter")... there are several other humedales (swamps) inside and around Bogota to see the endemics (Bogota Rail, Niceforos Wren and Silvery-throated Spinetail) and several other interesting stuff as Rufous-browed Conebill, Andean Duck, an isolated population of Spot-flanked Gallinule, Subtropical Doradito, Rufous-tailed Tyrant, etc etc etc. Just an hour from the city the superbly isolated population (only one in SA) of the Horned Lark can be visited.. and in the outskirts of Bogota, in the E mountains several cool species, including nice hummers (Black-tailed Trainbearer, Shining Sunbeam, Sword-billed Hummingbird) are present. Some 4 hours from Bogota is Soata municipality where the INSIDE TOWN ENDEMICS are easy stuff to spot!!!... (Mountain Grackle, Chestnut-bellied and Indigo-capped Hummingbirds, Apical Flycatcher and Niceforo’s Wren).. plus other interesting ones: Bronze-tailed Thornbill, Rufous-browed Conebill, Rusty-faced Parrot, Moustached Brush-Finch and Golden-fronted Redstart. Finally, a small reserve only 2.5 hours from Bogota (Rogitama) has some nice hummingbirds at flowers including endemic Black Inca and almost-endemics Lazuline Sabrewing and Short-tailed Emerald....

saludos, Diego."

Forum, I forgot I should not reply in any other Languaje than English at the forum.. so here it is my past reply:

"Hi Alejandro, hope you are ok... I see a couple of years ago you asked about visiting Bogota, if you still are coming in the future to Bogota or any place in Colombia for birding, you can contact me and gladly will help. The message pasted below is my reply to someone interested in coming to Bogota as well... hope you find it useful...greetings.

"La Florida is a great place inside the city where some endemics and near-endemics can be easily spotted..
I was the birding guide of Jeff and friends' trip in Nov 2007 (see his posts at http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=102265, called "Gringos Attend 20th Annual Colombian National Birding Encounter")... there are several other humedales (swamps) inside and around Bogota to see the endemics (Bogota Rail, Niceforos Wren and Silvery-throated Spinetail) and several other interesting stuff as Rufous-browed Conebill, Andean Duck, an isolated population of Spot-flanked Gallinule, Subtropical Doradito, Rufous-tailed Tyrant, etc etc etc. Just an hour from the city the superbly isolated population (only one in SA) of the Horned Lark can be visited.. and in the outskirts of Bogota, in the E mountains several cool species, including nice hummers (Black-tailed Trainbearer, Shining Sunbeam, Sword-billed Hummingbird) are present. Some 4 hours from Bogota is Soata municipality where the INSIDE TOWN ENDEMICS are easy stuff to spot!!!... (Mountain Grackle, Chestnut-bellied and Indigo-capped Hummingbirds, Apical Flycatcher and Niceforo’s Wren).. plus other interesting ones: Bronze-tailed Thornbill, Rufous-browed Conebill, Rusty-faced Parrot, Moustached Brush-Finch and Golden-fronted Redstart. Finally, a small reserve only 2.5 hours from Bogota (Rogitama) has some nice hummingbirds at flowers including endemic Black Inca and almost-endemics Lazuline Sabrewing and Short-tailed Emerald...."

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back