• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding solo in Malaysia & Singapore two weeks in february -march. (4 Viewers)

Hi,
I use to travell Solo, birding in different places, but this Will be my first time in Malaysia, and maybe also Singapore.
In malaysia I want to go to Fraser's Hill and Taman Negara and maybe also Tinggi. May be i'll rent a car, and consi dering if the days in TN NP I should have the car, may be to visit also the northern area of the park.
Not sure if two weeks is enough (i'm only thinking in peninsular malaysia, Borneo adds more time and maybe needs another trip).
Also the nearest islands attract to me, but only in a birding Point of view, I think there is no a clear reason to go to the coast, perhaps to rest and do some snorkelling.
I bought the field guide of Lim Kim Seng, ...But the fact It lacks Maps, add to me a real chalenge so i'm thinking to buy another one, and the Lynx Editions guide should be the best, but is a litle more heavy than I use in my trips.
Also not sure if in Taman Negara IS better to do almost two days guided, because I wouldn't have enough time to learn properly songs and voices, and It seem is needed in the Deep forests there.
Singapore It seem to me less Wild but easy for a quick start enjoying Green areas near, or into, the city with birds fearless and in a good density.
These are my thougts, not yet with flight tickets but i'm near to decide if I can prepare all to start travelling exotic soon in the Next new year.
Any tip, place advertisement or advices are very wellcome.
Thanks
Sergio.

Not sure if two weeks is enough (i'm only thinking in peninsular malaysia, Borneo adds more time and maybe needs another trip).
It depends what you mean by enough. I've spent a total of 6 months birding in Malaysia over three trips and there's still stuff I haven't seen. You can have a good trip over two weeks though. I would definitively leave Borneo to another trip and I wouldn't go to Singapore either. Malaysia is very easy logistically. Driving is no hassle, people are friendly and it has a low crime rate. I would say it has a good reputation for not getting ill but on my last trip I got giardia and 2/3 of the rest of my family, although avoiding giardia, were ill too.

I am not a big guide user for birds, and have never done it in Malaysia but birding at TN is hard work so hiring a guide for a couple of days would certainly get you quite a lot more birds.

Apparently now guides are compulsory at the northern entrance of Taman Negara and it's a nit unclear what's the story at Kuala Tahan - apparently you need a guide to go beyond the boardwalk trails but it's maybe not been policed?

I lived in Singapore for many years and have family there so visited often until 2016. Wherever you go take plenty to drink with you as it may not be readily available.
Pulau Ubin is good in places but you need to take a boat from Changi for the short crossing and don't miss the return!
Pasir Ris park is very good and evenings at the Sungei Tampines bridge between the entrance from the MRT and the bird hide is excellent in early evenings when several of the Kingfisher species along with scores of other species come to feed and are often joined by the local otters. A walk around the rest of the park should be very rewarding also.
Sungei Buloh Nature park is another good spot but a lot of it is tidal dependant and has lots of large monitor lizards as well as the occasional crocodile. The Monitors are usually harmless but beware of their tails if they get alarmed.
Other good places are the catchment area and Bukit Timah nature reserve for jungle dwelling species and most of the green park areas, Marina Bay gardens, East Coast park, Botanic gardens and more.
You can expect to see birds almost anywhere, even in the built up areas and Orioles and Koels are always calling, though not always easy to see!
Peninsula Malaysia is very different due to its size, you can visit a place one day and see scores of birds and another day none! Many birds travel in waves containing many species but they are always on the move. Watch out for fruiting fig trees as they are magnets for many birds.
When flying in/out of KLIA we used to stay a night or two at Concorde Inn nearby and a walk around their grounds could be very productive.
Yes, Borneo is for another time, so much wildlife to see in so many places.
Good spotting!

Apparently now guides are compulsory at the northern entrance of Taman Negara and it's a nit unclear what's the story at Kuala Tahan - apparently you need a guide to go beyond the boardwalk trails but it's maybe not been policed?
yes. you need a local guide to enter Sungai Relau (also known as Merapoh). As for Kuala Tahan, you can still do birding on your own along the boardwalk. If you need to walk beyond the boardwalk, then just hire the local guides there.

As we are in the planning for 2025 Peninsular Malaysia, how extensive is the boardwalk in Taman Negara? And things like the canopy trail are then with mandatory guiding?

Yes. There seems to be an ever declining number of places where one can bird totally independently.

I don’t mind it in some places - ie I am in some less travelled parts of Brazil at the moment and access to a private fazenda that has good forest is only possible with a guide so it’s fine. Other places it makes sense for safety or if you’re really exploring and need guides to show you trails and the like. But for Taman Negara it seems unnecessary and it will make the whole experience less enjoyable :(

There was a period of 1-2 yrs where guides were mandatory for Iguazú NP (Argentine side). It was intensely unpopular and fortunately they scrapped it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back