• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittern In Ireland. (1 Viewer)

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

I can’t help with your question but am sure someone will be along that can. You can check out this article from OPUS here on the forum. It might help:

Hi Folks. I think I recorded a Eurasian Bittern calling two days ago on my land in Co Clare, Ireland. Is this unusual ?

Welcome aboard!

Yes, it would be an unusual record. Bittern used to breed in most counties in Ireland until the 1840s, after which they gradually went extinct as a breeding bird here. Between then and the 1970s, they were exceedingly rare in Ireland, although some years there were a few recorded. Since the 70s, they have become more regular, particularly in winter, but there have been records in Summer, including in consecutive years in Clare in 1982 and 1983.

If you actually made a recording of the call, you could post it here for confirmation.

Birdwatch Ireland are the point of contact for all Irish bird queries and any unsual records

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back