• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bobolink-like birds in upper Austria (1 Viewer)

TKbird

Hello,

I was recently in Austria and noted two birds from a train window. They were black, but I noticed what appeared to be a pale patch on the head similar to a Bobolink from the US. They were similar in size, giss, and behavior to Red-winged Blackbirds from the US. They were flapping around each other low over a field. Any ideas?

Thanks,
TK

Do you have a guide? If not you can check ebird, inaturalist or even Wikipedia for the birds of Austria. Cannot really think of any birds that fits your description.

Edit- Maybe a black redstart, does not really fit your description but does have a pale crown.

Last edited:
Probably Common Starling, one of the few central european species of medium-little size with blackish plumage (in flight, little spots on the upperparts can create a light mantle or nape effect). It also has shortish tail and thin bill like Red-winged Blackbird, and they are usually seen fluttering around over cultivated fields. Common Blackbird is another possibility but it shows different structure (like American Robin) with very long tail and squat posture, and it wanders over open fields only relatively rarely. But birds have wings, so...

Ciao, Igor Festari, Italy

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions. I think this one will remain a mystery. I think it more likely that I mis-saw the coloration than the giss (I don't think I would mistake any of the suggestions' giss/flight pattern for that of a Red-winged Blackbird), so it's probably hopeless. Thanks for the help, though!
TK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back