• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BROADWATER LAKE: Threat to SSSI (1 Viewer)

navybloke

United Kingdom
Morning all. I'll keep this brief:

• Broadwater Lake (my patch) is a SSSI in the Colne Valley which holds nationally important numbers of wintering birds. It's one of only two lakes in the Colne Valley where wildlife is prioritised over other uses.
  • There is a proposal to build an outdoor activities centre on the lake; the original centre was closed due to HS2.
  • The construction (including dredging and landfill) will destroy the lake's value to birds and threaten Critically Endangered aquatic species.
  • The link below is to a petition I've submitted to Hillingdon Council. I'd be hugely grateful if you could log on and sign it; it takes about a minute and you don't have to be a Hillingdon resident.

Thanks very much for your help.

I have some experience of the English planning system, and would caution BF members signing the petition that greater weight will be given to people living locally, i.e. in Hillingdon borough / other west London boroughs, and surrounding counties.

What would carry even more weight are individual letters from people who have visited the site for birdwatching (i.e. not from a template). Bird disturbance is the key issue in planning terms, since wintering and breeding bird species are 'notified features' of the SSSI. You should refer to Natural England's views (see below) as they should be given significant weight by the Planning Committee, and also refer to policies for SSSI protection within Hillingdon's Local Plan. There may or may not be policies for species protection (European eel are 'priority species' under the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006 if I remember correctly), and should also be quoted if applicable.

You have until 19 December to make representations.

As the ePetition says, the site is part of Mid Colne Valley SSSI - details available at: SSSI detail
...and map view available here: https://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap...ivelayer=sssiIndex&query=HYPERLINK='1003469%2
Natural England publish a list of 'ORNECs' (operations requiring Natural England's consent) and the use of craft and recreational development are nos. 26 & 27 on the list: https://designatedsites.naturalengland.org.uk/PDFsForWeb/Consent/1003469.pdf

So, in theory Natural England should be all over this proposal, and they have indeed objected to the planning application when consulted: https://planning.hillingdon.gov.uk/...ix+7.13+NE+descretionary+advice.pdf&module=pl

All the documents associated with the planning application are available here, including the SSSI impact statement: London Borough of Hillingdon - Planning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back