• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calidris pugnax? Spain (1 Viewer)

Can’t necessarily see a ruff but I can see a few black winged stilt adults and one seemingly juvenile.

I have a couple more photos, maybe they help a little bit:
Actualy there are 2 birds that i suppose are ruffs..

P1410419.JPG

P1410411.JPG

P1410421.JPG

Last edited:
How do you exclude common greenshank?
Because one from the photo is bulkier and browner (in the neck expecially) that a common greenshank?
Just trying to learn where to look at :)

How do you exclude common greenshank?
Because one from the photo is bulkier and browner (in the neck expecially) that a common greenshank?
Just trying to learn where to look at :)
Greenshanks have greenish legs (as the name suggests), Ruffs have orangey red legs , juve Ruffs have straw to yellowy orange legs to my eyes. Greenshanks have slightly upturned bills, which are longer than Ruffs and look very delicate on the whole. Ruffs have stronger colours. They are similar in size.

Hello Lunitis,

Ruff is one of those waders that can provoke confusion with other waders (one reason for this is the marked difference in size between male and female).

Adding to the features, that Andy has already mentioned:

Features to look for (also visible in your birds, I think there are two of them):

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back