• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chiffchaff (1 Viewer)

Lanzbirder

United Kingdom
Hello fellow birders, twitchers or ornithologists. My name is Dave and I have been interested in birds from childhood. I am posting today as I have never seen a bird species before that has been recorded as extinct- until today. Phylloscopus collybita is a small brown flycatcher that has a Canary Islands (Spain) sub species that has been declared extinct in Lanzarote. Today I spotted three in my garden! The bird - often called a Chiffchaff, is no longer extinct but alive and well. I am pleased to say I have recorded one of the birds busy catching flies on a short video. Charming little bird that flies expertly up and down and a pleasure to watch.

hI Lanzbirder and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I think there's some confusion here, as the behaviour you've witnessed is nothing like a Chiffchaff (nor Willow Warbler, it's close look-alike), as they both feed by gleaning insects off the leaves in the canopy.

There is a small brown flycatcher called the Spotted Flycatcher Spotted Flycatcher - BirdForum Opus did it look anything like that? If you're in the south of England, there may well still be a few around, but they'll soon be departing for Africa.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Lanzarote does get chiffchaffs and willow warblers- I believe you most likely had one of those. They did once have their own subspecies of chiffchaff that is now believed to be extinct. The western Canary Islands do have an endemic species of chiffchaff called the canary island chiffchaff however they do not exist in Lanzarote.

Lanzarote does get chiffchaffs and willow warblers- I believe you most likely had one of those. They did once have their own subspecies of chiffchaff that is now believed to be extinct. The western Canary Islands do have an endemic species of chiffchaff called the canary island chiffchaff however they do not exist in Lanzarote.
This answer is probably correct but I wonder how it can be known that an earlier subspecies is now extinct. Also how can it be known whether a small community of these tiny birds are migrated from other parts and are not endemic. The minute differences distinguishing a bird as a subspecies would also need to be known and measured carefully just as Darwin did with the finches of the Galapagos. I do think the Lanzarote community of Chiffchaffs I am seeing are indeed Chiffchaffs rather than Spotted Flycatchers as the breast plumage is uniformly creamy brown and not mottled.I am less sure the group are not Willow Warblers though and am desperately trying to get a good photo of one without having the right equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back