• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chinese population of Dusky Eagle Owl - Ketupa coromanda (2 Viewers)

redpandacat

Nat Panda
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find more about Ketupa coromanda in China. I have read that it was found in Jiande 建德, Zhejiang and Nanchang 南昌, Jiangxi. I believe that it's thought to have been extirpated from both these areas (and hence from China). I can find little other information about it. I am interested in, for example,:
  • first and early records in China (papers or otherwise)
  • recent(?) or last records in China (papers or otherwise)
  • any specimens in museum collections
  • any research about this population and its potential placement in the nominate subspecies
So far I haven't found any specific records which has made me feel pretty pathetic. I've tried searching for published papers and done general searches under synonyms and to some extent in Chinese. Any suggestions of where to look (or even people to ask) would be welcomed.

(I hope this is acceptable for this forum but if not then please move to the appropriate place.)

I'm trying to find more about Ketupa coromanda in China. I have read that it was found in Jiande 建德, Zhejiang and Nanchang 南昌, Jiangxi. I believe that it's thought to have been extirpated from both these areas (and hence from China). I can find little other information about it. I am interested in, for example,:
  • first and early records in China (papers or otherwise)
  • recent(?) or last records in China (papers or otherwise)
  • any specimens in museum collections
  • any research about this population and its potential placement in the nominate subspecies
So far I haven't found any specific records which has made me feel pretty pathetic. I've tried searching for published papers and done general searches under synonyms and to some extent in Chinese. Any suggestions of where to look (or even people to ask) would be welcomed.

(I hope this is acceptable for this forum but if not then please move to the appropriate place.)
It's still marked on the IUCN/BLI maps as resident in that area centred on Nanchang. I suggest you contact BLI Datazone to ask about the age of that data.
MJB

It's still marked on the IUCN/BLI maps as resident in that area centred on Nanchang. I suggest you contact BLI Datazone to ask about the age of that data.
MJB
Thanks, that's a nice idea - I will try that.

It has recently been removed from a national list and from (at least) one of the local lists hence the idea that it's been extirpated. There have also not been records on eBird or Chinese checklists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back