• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cisticola spps - Nairobi National Park (1 Viewer)

Justene

Canada
Hi New to the forum - love all the good info! This bird is from just on the edge of Nairobi National Park - april 1st 2024, I think it might be a winding cisticola? Please help me Id this one!

Attachments

• _K9A0736.jpg
    _K9A0736.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • _K9A0760.jpg
    _K9A0760.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
As I say, ad nauseum and with respect, few of these are reliably do'able unless you have the call.
I've spent 12 years in Africa, I've seen almost all cisticolas, and I can state the opposite. In most cases, visual identification is easy. When I say "in first sight", here, it is just because I consider I might have forgotten one similar species. Last time in Kenya for me was in 2012, quite long for my memory...

It think Cisticolas are doable with enough experience. As a fairly deaf and colourblind birder I rely on pattern more than anything else. I now have hearing aids and its wonderful to hear birds I previously didn't, but direction is difficult. I invariably get the position of the sound wrong, so its still unreliable.

I'm not as experienced as Valéry, but over the years, especially with return trips, I think you get an eye for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back