• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombia Birding Advice (2 Viewers)

Zam

England
I am planning on going to colombia mid febuary for two weeks on a low-medium budget and i am trying to see as many species as possible i don't mind what species they are but would be best if they were more unique compared to ecuador and costa rica as i am going to those countries as well. just wondering what are the top spots and also i am a bit confused on how to do birding in pauxi pauxi and cerluean warbler reserves.

Any advice is helpful

I've got limited knowledge of Colombia having only visited once for a short trip, but eBird is your friend when it comes to working out target species / areas. Colombia certainly has more than it's share of endemic species.

In terms of staying at the Pro Aves reserves, you contact them, reserve direct and pay in advance. I stayed at El Paujil for a couple of nights which was great, but they're not cheap by Colombian standards - you are paying to help maintain the reserves. Fortunately accommodation pretty much everywhere else is good value, and it's easy to get around on a budget.

Hi Zam, can you elaborate a bit on how you anticipate getting around (public transport, rental car, hired car + driver)? Also, are you solo or with anyone else to help share costs? Two weeks is really not much time in such a vast country as Colombia. I would suggest focussing around some combination of Medellin/Pereira/Manizales/Ibague where there are a whole bunch of birding areas, many of which you can get to by public transit/taxi. Alternately, you could fly out to Mitu for a week and/or do the north Coast for a week. Cerulean Warbler and Pauxi are a ways from anywhere else so not particularly practical to visit in a two week stint, unless you are tied to seeing the target species on offer there.

I am planning on going to colombia mid febuary for two weeks on a low-medium budget and i am trying to see as many species as possible i don't mind what species they are but would be best if they were more unique compared to ecuador and costa rica as i am going to those countries as well. just wondering what are the top spots and also i am a bit confused on how to do birding in pauxi pauxi and cerluean warbler reserves.

Any advice is helpful
Hi Zam - I'm planning my own trip for January - a full 4 weeks. If you can get in at Cerro Montezuma, do, as it seems Tatama has a great variety of species and their guided tours focus on different elevations each day. It may seem pricy there, but consider that the fee includes all meals. I'd also recommend Rio Blanco near Manizales, and/or El Cedral, on the road beyond Otun Quimbaya (which is currently not taking guests) El Cedral has really great prices for both lodging and guides. And time at Jardin, which will give you some time in a pretty town, will net you some good birding spots as well. My own costs for those four sites, 13 nights with one in Pereira and 3 nights at each lodge, transportaion between and a total of 6 days of professional bird guiding will cost me just over 2000 Canadian $$, but does not include cost of lunch and dinner at 3 of the lodges, nor flights to the country and to Pereira/back to the international airport. These costs would be about $700 lower if I wasn't traveling solo. Ive done a fair amount of research on budget priced but good guides so let me know if you want more info. I'm also doing a tour of Chingaza/Observio de Colibris on my last day in Bogota for US$250 with Andes ecotours, which is a lot less than the company i originally contacted (likely because the later has more overhead costs). Let me know if you want more info.
Best, Christine

Jumping in on this, as my friends and I are heading to NE Colombia next summer. We'll be flying into Barranquilla on 8/3, and plan on birding around Palermo and Salamanca Park that day and the following morning. We will then drive to El Dorado Lodge, where we will spend 4 nights (3 days). We end our trip near Tayrona NP, where we should have 3 days to bird before flying out of Barranquilla on 8/11.
I know, this is short for a Colombia trip. However, with most of us being dads with young children, it's a miracle we can all get together for an 8-day international trip.
Any advice for these locations specifically, or Colombia generally? We've discussed getting a guide for at least the first day at El Dorado and Tayrona. I've been researching eBird extensively for targets, and plan on birding around Minca as well, particularly the Gairama Reserve for military macaw. We also have 2 somewhat capable Spanish-speakers in our group of 6 (or 7).

Any advice for these locations specifically, or Colombia generally?
You could spend one of those 3 days in Tayrona (where, technically, there are very few birds you won't get in other places) around Camarones: You'll get a totally different set of (very good) birds that are often restricted to the drier part of the NE Colombian coast up until W-Venezuela (think Tocuyo Sparrow, Orinoco Saltator, Chestnut Piculet, Buffy Hummingbird, Vermilion Cardinal, White-whiskered Spinetail,...).
A car + driver (even a taxi, locally arranged) will do, an early start is necessary though as it's approx. 2hrs drive.

Jumping in on this, as my friends and I are heading to NE Colombia next summer. We'll be flying into Barranquilla on 8/3, and plan on birding around Palermo and Salamanca Park that day and the following morning. We will then drive to El Dorado Lodge, where we will spend 4 nights (3 days). We end our trip near Tayrona NP, where we should have 3 days to bird before flying out of Barranquilla on 8/11.
I know, this is short for a Colombia trip. However, with most of us being dads with young children, it's a miracle we can all get together for an 8-day international trip.
Any advice for these locations specifically, or Colombia generally? We've discussed getting a guide for at least the first day at El Dorado and Tayrona. I've been researching eBird extensively for targets, and plan on birding around Minca as well, particularly the Gairama Reserve for military macaw. We also have 2 somewhat capable Spanish-speakers in our group of 6 (or 7).
Just pitching in some feedback from my own research - apparently Tayrona is pretty dead for much bird life, asside from the Blue billed currasow. Don't spend alot of time there. You're better off going to Camarones - I've hired Jose Luis Pushaina - who speaks English - for a day there and will also do the flamingo tour for seabird/wetland species

Just pitching in some feedback from my own research - apparently Tayrona is pretty dead for much bird life, asside from the Blue billed currasow. Don't spend alot of time there. You're better off going to Camarones - I've hired Jose Luis Pushaina - who speaks English - for a day there and will also do the flamingo tour for seabird/wetland species
Agreed. I saw very little at Tayrona. Spend time at Camarones and the Gaviotas track which is east of Tayrona (and holds all its specialities apart from Currasow which is fiendishly difficult).

Ive done a fair amount of research on budget priced but good guides so let me know if you want more info.
Hi Christine, some great info in your post. We are just starting planning a trip in Jan 2025. A week in either Montezuma area or Cali/Cauca valley then a week in Santa Marta. Are the guides you use English-speaking? Are you hiring a guide at each location or one guide for the trip? We prefer doing a full morning with a bird guide then chilling/watching feeders/photography/short walks on lodge trails in the afternoons. Not sure hiring a guide for a week in 2-3 sites will be cost-effective for us. Any tips from your trip would be much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back