• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cooper's or Sharpie?: Wisconsin, US (2 Viewers)

KatyMoon

Hi folks - I know this question crops up again and again but I'd appreciate your knowledge and experience . I've had this gal around for quite a while, believing her to be a Cooper's however, she landed on a bluebird house close to the house and I was able to photograph her up close. Now I'm leaning toward sharpie. Thanks for your thoughts...

Thanks!

Katy Moon

Attachments

• Cecil-6.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 41
  • Cecil-4.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 34
  • Cooper-8.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 31
Hiding all its best ID features from this angle, but upper head pattern suggests sharp-shinned hawk and the not-very-dark crown fits that too, as does the generally (fairly) dinky look.

Hiding all its best ID features from this angle, but upper head pattern suggests sharp-shinned hawk and the not-very-dark crown fits that too, as does the generally (fairly) dinky look.
Thanks, Butty. I'd never seen her so close to the house before and I was able to see she has more of a hood than a cap and looks like she has a smaller head than a Cooper's.

Katy Moon

The crucial cap/hood thing is to see the sides of the hindneck - which you can't (quite) in your photos.

Here's one more. I think this may tell the tale. From this angle it looks more like a hood. Do you agree?

Attachments

• Coop-Sharpie.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 36
Many thanks, Butty and KC Foggin! Now I'll have to change what I've been calling it from "Cecil" (Cooper - Milwaukee Brewer 1st baseman and legend) to something else... 😁

In the third photo the tail feathers all look to be about the same length, further supporting Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back