• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorant, Greater Manchester UK (1 Viewer)

stevethehydra

I saw this cormorant that stood out from others yesterday at a fishing club site in Stockport (unfortunately a fenced-off site where you can only get glimpses through trees of the actual water and birds on it, so branches in the foreground made clear photos difficult). Then I happened to see this: Chapter 6: Paradise regained - The Sound Approach

This individual was one of the whitest-headed cormorants I've seen, and the only one there with any white on the head. It also looked a bit smaller and more "compact" in build than the other cormorant on the same artificial island, and I thought possibly shorter-billed (though this could be an illusion of viewing angles). So I wondered if it might be a different subspecies - but if I'm interpreting the images at that link correctly, its gular pouch looks like carbo rather than sinensis, which is what the other features supposedly point towards?

I'm a bit skeptical about cormorants being identifiable to subspecies in general, but any thoughts?
P2060576.JPGP2060581.JPGP2060585.JPGP2060588.JPGP2060582.JPGP2060579.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back