• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corn Bunting in Europe (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Bit of a straw poll really. I'm getting lots of chatter in the South West of France, more precisely in the centre west of the Pyrenees, about an influx of Corn Buntings in the area.

The suggestion has been made about those displaced from Spain because of dryer warmer summers. This could also follow on from a hot summer further east in the Pyrenees and an influx last autumn of Mediterranean birds.

I don't know the reason but are other areas or countries experiencing similar nice 'problems'?

I seem to remember that they were, at one point at least, virtually lost as a breeder in Yorkshire - limited to somewhere near Halifax at one point....

Any thoughts or input welcome....

Thank you

Charles

Bit of a straw poll really. I'm getting lots of chatter in the South West of France, more precisely in the centre west of the Pyrenees, about an influx of Corn Buntings in the area.

The suggestion has been made about those displaced from Spain because of dryer warmer summers. This could also follow on from a hot summer further east in the Pyrenees and an influx last autumn of Mediterranean birds.

I don't know the reason but are other areas or countries experiencing similar nice 'problems'?

I seem to remember that they were, at one point at least, virtually lost as a breeder in Yorkshire - limited to somewhere near Halifax at one point....

Any thoughts or input welcome....

Thank you

Charles
never seen a corn bunting in halifax despite living here 50 years, i used to see them at place like spurn and blacktoft. another common bird thats gone in decline

Jammed into roadside Corn Bunts somewhere between Beverley & Wykeham when we did Honey Buzzards in 2019, so unless we were ridiculously lucky I'd guess there are still a few Yorkshire pockets remaining.

Marc Hughes found one on Great Orme a week or two back, colossal Conwy rarity, make of that what you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back