• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coul Links Under Threat - Yet Again (1 Viewer)

Muso

Scotland
Hi all

Around 2017/18 an American billionaire tried to build a golf course on Coul Links, near Dornoch. The existing Royal Dornoch golf course, which is as exclusive as this one wanted to be, is 2 miles away.

Local Councillors gave it the go-ahead, despite this being a triple-protected area for wildlife, incorporating rare species of insect, animal and plants, as well as being one of the few coastal dune systems remaining. Eventually it went to the government and it was defeated, various wildlife agencies objecting, as well as many protests from individuals, not least from the BF community.

Under a defunct company name, the same people are now trying to get approval for a golf course all over again. Once again Local Councillors have just given their approval, despite their own dept of experts telling them to reject it. The hope is the government will again decide to take this in for review, and it would be good if people could let them know their views.

RSPB are asking people to register their objections with the government, and this can be done here: action.rspb.org.uk/coullinks

The previous thread on this contains all the information and background, as this is exactly the same situation. You can see the thread here: Coul Links, Embo under threat - RSPB petition

If you've ever visited Embo and been knocked out by the scenery and wildlife (there is a list in the previous thread), can I ask you to please consider registering your objection.

Thanks

Ian

Good luck with this, proposal absolutely should be rejected.

PS the RSPB link only allows persons with a Scottish postcode to add their objection - wouldn't allow me to submit without this.

Thanks Jos - wasn't aware of this. Might be worth trying RSPB directly or the Not Coul website. I'll look into this and see what I can come up with.

Can't see any way round the postcode limitation. I can only assume it's because they're trying to get the Scottish Government to act, therefore Scottish residents. Fairly sure that wasn't the case the last time. Because I live in Scotland, my registration just went through, so I didn't know about the limitation - my apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back