• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark Green or High Brown Fritillary at Arnside Knott (1 Viewer)

tuftyhill

I visited Arnside Knott yesterday late afternoon, hoping to see H B Frit. I wasn't hopefull as it was cloudy but still warm.
After a short while I spotted a Fritillary and waited till it had landed and then proceeded to get some photo's of it. I was fairly pleased until I realised that Dark Green Fritillary is also present and very similar to HBF.
My mate and I saw at least 4 different fritillaries, and I managed to photograph 6 fairly close up (there may be the same one twice obviously). We got a certain DGF just before we left as it perched with wings closed under some bracken and we were able to see the underwing pattern, something we never saw on the others we were watching. Is it vital to get the underwing pattern to clinch ID or is the upperwing enough ?
There seemed to be a great variation in the photo's.
So the question is.............. Did we see a HBF or are they all DGF ?

Over to a 'Fritillary expert' !!!!

Here are the first three images.

Attachments

• Fritillary-sp.-1.jpg
    Fritillary-sp.-1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Fritillary-sp.-2.jpg
    Fritillary-sp.-2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 230
  • Fritillary-sp.-3.jpg
    Fritillary-sp.-3.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 206
And here are the other three ?

Attachments

• Fritillary-sp.-4.jpg
    Fritillary-sp.-4.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Fritillary-sp.-5.jpg
    Fritillary-sp.-5.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Fritillary-sp.-6.jpg
    Fritillary-sp.-6.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 208
I would say they are all Dark Green. The first three are all male and the first two of your second lot are female (notice the white along leading edge of forewings, HB do not have this) and the last is male again.

Simon.

Hello Paul,

I would agree, they are all Dark Green Fritillaries. Nice pictures as well, they aren't always easy to approach.

I'm not sure that Arnside Knott is suitable habitat for High Brown Frit's either, they're more of a woodland and country lane species, than an inhabitant of windswept hillsides. Arnside Knott is typical Dark Green Fritillary habitat in northern England.

Harry

They certainly are a nice batch of pictures. I've never been very succesful trying to photograph this species and can concur with Harry that they aren't always easy to approach.
Perhaps the cloudy weather kept them from flying around too much.

Thanks for the replies, I had referred to my namesakes book 'Paul Hill' + Colin Twist - Butterflies and Dragonflies A Site Guide - albeit the first edition and he states 'A visit in July week 1 or 2 is recommended to connect with both target species' (being H B Frit and N B Argus, he states that H B F is on the wing from June week 4) and I guessed with the recent good weather (before this week !!!) that High Browns would be on the wing.
What is the best feature to look for on High Browns then when they only show the upperwing ?
I've looked at many photo's of Dark Green and High Brown and they seem extremely similar.

It was still nice to see Dark Green Fritillary - a first for me being a novice regarding Butterflies.

Hi Paul,
as I mentioned in the first reply, the females are fairly easy, although the white along the forewing is not always as crisp as in your photo.

But one of the best ways to tell the difference is wing shape. I think it is this way round (but I do not have my butterfly books at the moment, they are in transit) the Dark Green has more rounded wings, and the High Brown shape is more like the Silver-Wash, they are sort of pointy but in a rounded way, if that makes sense. When you see High Brown you will see what I mean.

A must have book for UK Butterflies is "The Butterflies of Britain and Ireland" by Jeremy Thomas and Richard Lewington. It is published by DK in conjunction with the National Trust. And I have found the ISBN number in my spreadsheet; it is ISBN 0-86318-591-6.

This book is not a field guide, but it is about the best reference book I know.

Simon.

Thanks Simon,
I need to study them a bit more. I managed to find that book you recommended, but only the one going for £75.
Don't think my wife would be too pleased with me spending that much on a 'book about Butterflies' !!!!

Thanks again

booder said:
Hi Paul,
it should be around the £17 mark.

Simon.

Hello Simon,
Having an interest in books entomological, I have had a look around the WWW and the cheapest second hand copy of Thomas & Lewingtons book, The Butterflies of Britain & Ireland1991, I can find is £75.00.
This book is out of print.

There is a cheap paperback book by Richard Lewington called A Field Guide to the Butterflies of Great Britain and Ireland at £9.95. Still in print.

I cannot comment on the latter book as I don't have a copy, but I haven't seen a poor book by Richard Lewington.

As I have mentioned elsewhere once good books on insects go out of print or
are of limited productions runs, their value appreciates rapidly.

Harry

Hi Harry,
I did not realise it was out of print; that is criminal. I do not think I have seen a better book on British Butterflies, and that is not surprising as it took 20 years to put together. Maybe a library is the next stop.

Simon.

harry eales said:
There is a cheap paperback book by Richard Lewington called A Field Guide to the Butterflies of Great Britain and Ireland at £9.95. Still in print.

I cannot comment on the latter book as I don't have a copy, but I haven't seen a poor book by Richard Lewington.

I am a butterfly novice but compared to similar older ID guides I have seen i would say it is superb. It is also extremely small and lightweight.

James

I still use the Hamlyn Guide to Butterflies or the British Isles by J A Thomas, as a field guide, it has served me well...this is probably out of print now too!

Simon.

booder said:
I still use the Hamlyn Guide to Butterflies or the British Isles by J A Thomas, as a field guide, it has served me well...this is probably out of print now too!

Simon.

Hello Simon,
Your right the Hamlyn Guide, second edition (1992) is out of print. Second hand copies frequently show up on Ebay, and don't cost a lot.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back