• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Desert Grey Shrike, Israel, K20 ponds, 3/2018 (2 Viewers)

sprosser1

Hello, I have seen this shrike in Israel near the K20 fish ponds (Arava valley) on 13.03.2018. I guess it is a Desert Grey Shrike, form elegans, but I have not much experience in identification southern grey shrikes.
White primary patch seems to be relatively large (too large for aucheri), bright white underparts (no grey flanks like aucheri), (little) white supercilium (not in aucheri) and limited black on forehead/over top of bill base (broader in aucheri). I am not sure about the white wing pattern in flight (no foto available).
What do you think about that bird?
Best wishes,
Götz

Attachments

• IMG_7927_1600px.jpg
    IMG_7927_1600px.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7924_1600px.jpg
    IMG_7924_1600px.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 32
there is some black over the bill and the upperparts look not that light, which is pretty normal in an area where elegans and aucheri intergrade

Funny enough, yesterday i saw pictures of elegans from Western Sahara taken by Patric Lorgé and one bird showed a hint of black over the bill, your OP bird is anyway much closer to elegans than to aucheri

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back