• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Destinations for solo birding (on foot) in India & Nepal (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,
My favorite way to bird is on hikes and walks. I want to get recommendations for destinations that are good for solo birding around India & Nepal and that are accessible through hikes (of all kinds).
Some walks and hikes that I have enjoyed birding on include - hikes in Sikkim (yuksom-khechopealri), hiking in Bhutan (around Thinpu, bhumthang valley), trails in the state of Goa (western ghats), walks in Eaglenest (Arunachal pradesh).
I am really keen on sites that I can access in E and W Himalayas that don't require me to hire a guide.
Thank you !

It's many years since I did it (1989 to be precise :oops:) but the Langtang Valley trek in Nepal was good for birds, and as it went into a National Park the forest habitat was better preserved than on some of the other tourist trekking routes. It also takes you into a high-altitude valley with birds such as Ibisbill. Easy to do solo as well.

It's many years since I did it (1989 to be precise :oops:) but the Langtang Valley trek in Nepal was good for birds, and as it went into a National Park the forest habitat was better preserved than on some of the other tourist trekking routes. It also takes you into a high-altitude valley with birds such as Ibisbill. Easy to do solo as well.
there are very new rules that mean unguided trekking in many parts of Nepal (national parks etc.) is now illegal unfortunately
cheers,
James

there are very new rules that mean unguided trekking in many parts of Nepal (national parks etc.) is now illegal unfortunately
cheers,
James
Unfortunately I can kind of see why - a lot of the trails were becoming a bit of a mess of informal tea shops and tourist stuff even then

Some suggestions in the western Himalayas:
-The Naini Tal area in Winter - not particularly wild or remote but a good variety of species, some nice day walks, and very easy to get to.
-Great Himalayas NP - not sure whether you can get away without a guide here, but beautiful mountain forests and some good hikes here. I'm sure there mist be other parts of the Kullu Valley outside the park with good trekking.
- Padder Valley in the Kishtwar area. Nice forests here accessible from Gushaini village.

Some suggestions in the western Himalayas:
-The Naini Tal area in Winter - not particularly wild or remote but a good variety of species, some nice day walks, and very easy to get to.
-Great Himalayas NP - not sure whether you can get away without a guide here, but beautiful mountain forests and some good hikes here. I'm sure there mist be other parts of the Kullu Valley outside the park with good trekking.
- Padder Valley in the Kishtwar area. Nice forests here accessible from Gushaini village.
thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back