• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dicrurus hottentottus faberi Hoogerwerf, 1962 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Dicrurus hottentottus faberi Hoogerwerf, 1962 Hoogerwerf A. (1962) Some ornithological notes on the smaller Islands around Java (with the description of seven new subspecies). ARDEA 50 (3-4): 180 - 206.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Hair-crested Drongo ssp. Dicrurus hottentottus faberi Hoogerwerf, 1962
Dirk A. Faber (d.1960) was a Dutch soil scientist. He was Assistant SoilSurveyor at the Institute of Soil, part of the Agricultural Research Station at Bogor, Indonesia. The etymology states: “The new race is named to the honor of the late Mr. D. A. Faber, who accompanied the Prinsen Island expedition as a very ardent student in soil-conservation and who was a good comrade”. He went on a number of expeditions, including the one to Prinsen Island (near Java) (1951), with Hoogerwerf, who describes in his book Udjung Kulon, the Land of the Last Javan Rhinoceros, how the two of of them explored and searched together for the Javan Rhinoceros. Faber made a list of the plants and took soil and rock samples. He was taken seriously ill in 1956 and returned to the Netherlands, but never fully recovered.

The Key to Scientific Names
Dirk A. Faber (d. 1960) Dutch soil scientist, botanist in Java (subsp. Dicrurus hottentottus)

Maybe it is time to get his birth year and middle name?

Rollie great to have a Dutch speaker on the "case". I suspect its not him as another record says this guy was a plasterer. I can find no original record confirming his name was Dirk so this may be a guess. Also possible he was born in Dutch East Indies.

It's certainly highly subjective, but the wording of the dedication doesn't suggest someone approaching 60 to me, either -- I would see him younger.

He was called "Dirk Faber" by Hoogerwerf in Udjung Kulon, the Land of the Last Javan Rhinoceros -- here (p. 100).
In another text, here (p. 340), Hoogerwerf indeed reported that he suddenly fell seriously ill in 1956, which forced him to return to Europe where he died in 1960.

For what it's worth, a Dirk Anthonie Faber, born in Medan (Sumatra), 33 yo, unemployed, died in Den Helder on 24 Apr 1959; death certificate here. I know it's not 1960, but all the other details might match... (Or not.)

The birth date of Dirk Anthonie Faber - September 29th, 1925 (Medan, Sumatra) - may be found in the following two newspaper announcements. Note that the surname of the mother corresponds with that given in the death certificate retrieved by both Laurent and Roland.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back