• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Doubt about identification of yellow wagtail subspecies - Central Spain (1 Viewer)

JLRamos

just a birder
Spain
Hello everyone, these photos have been taken today in Guadalajara, in central Spain, in an area of dry crops, but close to a small pool of water.

In the area we were able to see many yellow wagtails of the usual subspecies in our area: iberiae

However, we doubt the bird in the photographs, since the yellow throat and greenish head would not correspond to iberiae. Reviewing the description of the subspecies in guides, we were not able to identify if it is another subspecies and which one.

Thanks in advance

(Sorry for the previous message in Spanish. I used a translator app and, by mistake, I copied and pasted the wrong part. My apologies)

Attachments

• Laandera Boyera duda subesp 1130934(1).JPG
    Laandera Boyera duda subesp 1130934(1).JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Lavandera Boyera duda subesp 1130932(1).JPG
    Lavandera Boyera duda subesp 1130932(1).JPG
    379.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Pages 902-903 if you're really intent on getting the ID:

EDIT: Better scans here: Handboek Europese vogels | het nieuwe standaardwerk | vogelboek, vogelgids KNNV Uitgeverij

no intergrades described, though

EDIT 2: at least two forms: dombrowskii (feldegg x flava) and flava, seem to be a possible match

compare:

including:
The apparent feldegg (2) has a green nape and 4 has a grey head but also with green intermixed on crown, a typical sign of these kinds of hybrids.
the exact crown colour in your pictures is hard for me to judge with certainty, though I see you wrote:
the yellow throat and greenish head would not correspond to iberiae

EDIT 3: Also, from the Birdguides article:
'dombrowskii' resembles flava but has blackish ear coverts and is slightly darker grey on the crown and nape

You can always try submitting it via eBird and see what happens and what is the opinion of your local reviewer (and please report back if you do).

EDIT 4: Although now I see that ssp. flava seems to be much more frequently recorded in Spain (though it can be so for a variety of reasons that I'm not qualified to judge).

The nominate subspecies does seem to migrate through Spain: https://www.jstor.org/stable/3677265?seq=3, so you might actually have a hard time trying to prove a possible dombrowskii from these photos.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back