• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dowitcher help (1 Viewer)

I agree that its a Short-billed Dowitcher. The spotting on the breast and under the tail as opposed to barring is a pro for SB>LB. Usually LB are a deeper red below, with a stronger contrast between the dark flight feathers and deep red underparts. The orange and black striped tertials are a good pointer for SB>LB as well I believe. All structural signs, that usually are challenging to assess, do line up firmly within the camp of SB>LB as well. As far as I am aware of, these characteristics include a shorter and thicker bill, thinner body, and shorter tibia - all of which are supportive of SB. These structural characteristics are subjective to some extent, but in the case of this individual none of those characteristics seem borderline to me in the context of dowitcher variation, rather they all quite safely align with SB and not LB. Lastly there is likelihood by range, which SB wins by a lot in Alabama, even though it is a time of year right now when neither species is particularly expected. That said, I really do not feel that the range factor is much needed to arrive at the correct conclusion with this individual. As far as dowitchers go, this image shows the bird from a perspective that leaves little doubt in my opinion, its a great study image.

I agree that its a Short-billed Dowitcher. The spotting on the breast and under the tail as opposed to barring is a pro for SB>LB. Usually LB are a deeper red below, with a stronger contrast between the dark flight feathers and deep red underparts. The orange and black striped tertials are a good pointer for SB>LB as well I believe. All structural signs, that usually are challenging to assess, do line up firmly within the camp of SB>LB as well. As far as I am aware of, these characteristics include a shorter and thicker bill, thinner body, and shorter tibia - all of which are supportive of SB. These structural characteristics are subjective to some extent, but in the case of this individual none of those characteristics seem borderline to me in the context of dowitcher variation, rather they all quite safely align with SB and not LB. Lastly there is likelihood by range, which SB wins by a lot in Alabama, even though it is a time of year right now when neither species is particularly expected. That said, I really do not feel that the range factor is much needed to arrive at the correct conclusion with this individual. As far as dowitchers go, this image shows the bird from a perspective that leaves little doubt in my opinion, its a great study image.
thank you so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back