• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Drought buster (1 Viewer)

Birdbrain14

United States
It seems Cali is having a normal wet season with a dousing of snow in the Bay area. The drought is over for awhile. Can't wait for the rain 2 stop so I can get out for the wildflower blooms and the birds that attend. The Pinnacles should B spectacular for both flowers and birds. Looking forward 2 catching a Condor in flight with my new 16x80 handheld. Anyone interested in forming an expedition for flowers & birds this season give me a holler 2 C what can B done. Njoy the bird! Birdbrain14

I was thinking about this recent California weather, in regard to the drought, and the Condors in fact. Hadn't thought about the flowers blooming - I recall some incredible pics from SW USA of the desert blooming. Enjoy your trip!

I was thinking about this recent California weather, in regard to the drought, and the Condors in fact. Hadn't thought about the flowers blooming - I recall some incredible pics from SW USA of the desert blooming. Enjoy your trip!
Thanx, I have been fortunate thru the years catching blooms. It started 4 me catching the bloom in Death Valley. Right place, right time and pure luck. The Ranger tells me it only last a week or less. Here is a site I found that lists some of these. Where to See California's Wildflowers This Spring The dessert and high meadows R the best. It is a Jamboree 4 birds 2. Birdbrain14

Yeah, it was pretty crazy to see the snow at some lower peaks in the Bay Area this weekend. My first time seeing it since I moved out here 10 years ago.
Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 7.59.57 AM.png

Been here since 95 and this is more normal 4 this time of year. It has been so long that we forgot what normal is. The drought is over for now and maybe migratory patterns may swing back. Thru this drought I have seen birds that normally don't visit this area and some that don't come here anymore. Brown Phoebes from the south, Red Finch that have never been here and the Ruby's (Ruby Throated Kinglets) R gone for at least 6 six years. Wonder where they went? Anyone in the Bay area? I saw another Towhee this morning. Can't wait 4 an early warm spring. Birdbrain14

Been here since 95 and this is more normal 4 this time of year. It has been so long that we forgot what normal is. The drought is over for now and maybe migratory patterns may swing back. Thru this drought I have seen birds that normally don't visit this area and some that don't come here anymore. Brown Phoebes from the south, Red Finch that have never been here and the Ruby's (Ruby Throated Kinglets) R gone for at least 6 six years. Wonder where they went? Anyone in the Bay area? I saw another Towhee this morning. Can't wait 4 an early warm spring. Birdbrain14
Yeah, it was pretty crazy to see the snow at some lower peaks in the Bay Area this weekend. My first time seeing it since I moved out here 10 years ago.
View attachment 1496928
Just looked at the satellite dwnloads and see the atmospheric river heading str8t for us. This time being formed from Bering sea and sub tropical plumes instead of warmer Pacific. It's why more snow at lower levels. It's refreshing but ready for some sun and get out and bird. Til then working on my Sci-Fi novel 2 keep me occupied. Stay warm and dry. Birdbrain14

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back