• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle ID- South Africa (1 Viewer)

ddave07

A few months ago I was in Kruger National Park in South Africa. One evening, I managed to get a picture of this eagle perched on a branch, near Timbavati, however I am unsure of its ID. I was wondering if it was either Tawny Eagle or a Steppe Eagle or perhaps something else?

Many thanks

DD

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 16.15.48.png

If I believe the gape-length (reaching only mid-eye), and given that it looks too beefy for Wahlberg's eagle and lesser spotted eagle... it's a tawny eagle,
Agree but Steppe could still be in the frame?

Looking at 'Beaman and Madge' and they don't describe perched birds at all which is disappointing.

Some more points why it is a Tawny as Butty said:
Large bill versus a bit smaller in Steppe and much smaller in LSE and Wahlberg's
Long nostril versus shorter in Wahlberg's and round in LSE
Gape to mid-eye, longer but mainly much fleshier in Steppe
Honey-coloured iris versus dark in Steppe and yellow in adult LSE
Well proportioned versus big body with smaller head and bill in Steppe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back