• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador in July? (1 Viewer)

nkbj

Niels Kristian Bech Jensen
Denmark
My wife and I are planning a two week trip to Ecuador in July. It might not be the best season for birding, but it is the time of year we can travel.

Our current plan is to stay two or three nights in Quito to get used to the altitude and timezone, then on to Bellavista Cloud Forest Lodge for three or four days before going to The Galápagos Islands for a cruise. On the way home we have two nights in Guayaquil. We have dropped the Amazonas/Oriente because of the travel time compared to our total time in Ecuador.

Are there other places near Quito we should consider for daytrips or to stay for a single night?

TIA Niels Kristian

Hej Niels Kristian,
a few things to consider. You did not mention whether you expect to have a vehicle available or rely on the lodges to transfer you?

Near Quito, you have Papallacta pass and connected high elevation areas. Depending on where you are staying around Quito it might be possible to do this as a day trip or spend a night.
Also near Quito, and if you are up early, possibly doable on the day you transfer to Bellavista, is Yanacocha which is again higher elevation and worth a visit.

Near Bellavista is the option of a morning with Paz de las Aves for antpittas etc.
Bellavista itself is also relatively high and spending a day lower down (e.g., Mindo) might be worth while.

Guayaquil itself may not be the safest city in the world to walk around in. Depending on time of day for your flights, you could consider Umbrellabird lodge for that period (Fundación Jocotoco

Niels

Hej Niels Kristian,
a few things to consider. You did not mention whether you expect to have a vehicle available or rely on the lodges to transfer you?

Near Quito, you have Papallacta pass and connected high elevation areas. Depending on where you are staying around Quito it might be possible to do this as a day trip or spend a night.
Also near Quito, and if you are up early, possibly doable on the day you transfer to Bellavista, is Yanacocha which is again higher elevation and worth a visit.

Near Bellavista is the option of a morning with Paz de las Aves for antpittas etc.
Bellavista itself is also relatively high and spending a day lower down (e.g., Mindo) might be worth while.

Guayaquil itself may not be the safest city in the world to walk around in. Depending on time of day for your flights, you could consider Umbrellabird lodge for that period (Fundación Jocotoco

Niels
Tak Niels.

We are not planning to hire a car but will depend on the lodge transfers or organised daytrips. Paz de las Aves seems to be part of the Bellavista package.

Niels Kristian

Unless you are really tied to eking out what little cultural interest you can from Quito and Guayaquil I would suggest spending as little time in either as possible. More time around Bellavista/Mindo would almost certainly provide a more enjoyable experience. Niels' suggestions of Yanacocha (en route to Bellavista) and Buenaventura/Umbrellabird Lodge are both good ones.

I haven't visited Guayaquil and so can't comment upon it, but you will not have to "eke" a great deal to find culture in Quito.

Obviously, it does not hold much birding interest, like most national capitals, but sneering at the culture is just snide.

I doubt you will have problems with altitude in Ecuador. I live at sea level and did not. I am sensitive to height because I did have altitude sickness in Chile (Putre, which is 700 m higher up than Quito).
Niels

My apologies, my earlier message was bit crass and in retrospect my limited experiences in both cities should have meant I withheld my opinion. I was underwhelmed by what little I did see of each city and coupled with having not heard much in the way of cultural experiences in either from those who I have discussed Ecuador with previously I (rashly) assumed that they simply didn't have much to offer. I stand corrected.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back