• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed x frontier focus consistency? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Looking for other user opinions on the frontier focus tolerances, been using a newly purchased 8x42 Ed x for the past month or or and my particular example has the roughest focus I’ve yet seen on this model..I tried a few samples of the frontier before purchase and previously owned a 10x42 and 8x32 and all had flawless focus action.

My particular sample has a sticky feeling/squelching sound when turning the focus wheel from a static position, also the action is very temperamental in colder weather hindering a fast accurate focus, in short the binocular doesn’t have the feel of a £400 binocular more £120!

When the binocular was fresh out of the box the focus was frozen and had to nudge the focus wheel with some effort before it would turn, as if the binocular had been stored in stock for some time before I purchased them, after some use the action of the wheel freed up a little but never really felt great and still exhibited the issues mentioned above.

They are currently being examined by hawke but do not appear to be making any progress!

Matt

Edit..

After being examined and compared to other samples it is of the opinion that there is no fault with the binoculars, strange as every other sample I’ve tried and owned were flawless..my sample felt like junk!

Basically can’t be bothered for such a trivial matter I guess,

Matt

Have you tried just sitting around one night around TV playing with the wheel...? Someone told me that one time. Just play with it, loosen it up....move it back and forth etc. Might work....otherwise, I have no suggestion. good luck

Have you tried just sitting around one night around TV playing with the wheel...? Someone told me that one time. Just play with it, loosen it up....move it back and forth etc. Might work....otherwise, I have no suggestion. good luck
Thanks, yes I tried that and kinda worked but then after the binoculars had rested for a while the stickiness returned, almost as if the lubricant had set or semi dried out!

Recieved the bins back today with the cover note simply saying returned, unusual as my last message from hawk said no fault was detected..they don’t feel quite so bad as before I sent them for inspection so maybe they did something after alol,

In truth I doubt I’d find a nicer set of glass so hopefully something has somehow resolved itself!

Matt

Looks like the second return had them give it another try. You would hate to have a pair of bins you enjoy and have the focus wheel all tight like that. Glad it worked out!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back