• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG 7x42 and Meostar B1.1 8x32 head to head (2 Viewers)

Looksharp65, I appreciate and admire the thorough work of AllBinos (while being aware of its flaws), but their scoring, and especially their total scores for binoculars, can really mislead. You’ll see, in that 10x42 ranking list, below that Nikon EDG and Monarch-HG, Leica Ultravid-HD-Plus is below Ultravid-HD! BirdForum is very probably where these two models have been discussed most, but I don’t think one person here has assessed them that way.

Having owned the above as well as MHG 8x42, I heartily disagree that I would take the MHG over the EDG 8x32. The MHG has slight advantages in exit pupil / ease of view, and FOV, but the EDG is superior in all other respects IMO. Much richer colors and contrast, more depth and “pop”, near zero CA, sharp to the edge, superior build quality especially eyecups and focus knob, etc.
On top of that....the MHG lacks the very intangible aspect of 'being fun' to hold. This was my biggest disappointed when I first got my MHG 8x32 and took it out of the packaging. Not only was the packing lackluster but so was the binocular. I was really looking forward to the ergonomics of it, the fun of holding it, wanting to hold it etc.... But it seriously lacks. Not as bad as the old Swaro SLC's but certainly no where near other 8x32's which has a very solid ergo friendly, fun factor etc...connected to it.

I liked the light weight of the MHG, but it's not playing the same league as EDG on the build quality - the focuser in particular. I would advise anyone to spend the extra $$ to get the EDG over MGH just for the focuser alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back