• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egret ID - 21st October 2023 - Bangalore, KA, India (1 Viewer)

Junklekitteb

India
I know these photos are of garbage quality, but you all are basically wizards so you may be able to help me out.
At the lake in the botanical gardens there is a sort of sewage pond where I saw two egrets. Unfortunately I didn’t think of photographing the closer one. It seemed to have all the field marks of Great - gape extending beyond eye, long kinked neck, no black-tip to bill, greenish lores: but it scarcely exceeded a great cormorant in size. Maybe I’m just bad at judging size. Realising my mistake later, I headed back to try and find it again, and found an egret, perhaps the same one, but much further off - with some fiddling I managed to snap these photos. It also seems to have all the field marks - it’s perhaps not visible in the uploads but it seems from the photo to have the gape also. There are two Great Cormorants in the background to show size, although they are a bit further off as you can see. I simply don’t feel knowledgable enough to take a call so I have turned to the forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0858.jpeg
    IMG_0858.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0857.jpeg
    IMG_0857.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0856.jpeg
    IMG_0856.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0855.jpeg
    IMG_0855.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0854.jpeg
    IMG_0854.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Not quite sure which individuals are which here. I only see one pic which might be intermediate: all the rest are great for me. Gape is "clearly" visible in a few cases: jizz (shape etc) suggest great too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back