• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Empty Tag? (2 Viewers)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
For the last few months my phone has occasionally beeped when I put it down and it shows a virtually blank page which says

"New tag collected"

then under that

"Empty tag"

rest of screen is blank.

Up to now I've been able to get rid of it, but this time it won't go away. I swipe it away, put the phone down "beep" and there it is again, and again and again.

Android phone.

So: what the heck is a tag... or an empty one?

And how can I get rid of it? Finally!!

The Tags referred to are NFC tags. It is a very short range way of swapping data, a swipe card. It is used in shop stock control and in office entry amongst other things. Most smartphones can work with NFC tags. I'm guessing that there is an NFC somewhere near your phone, it could be a on a clothing label or an entry card. You phone is trying to read to tag and getting no information back from the tag, hence the two messages.

The easiest way to stop it is to turn NFC off on you phone.
Swipe down on the notification bar at the top, you might have to swipe down twice or go right as well. You will see a button for NFC, it is a stylised N. Press this to turn it off.

If you do use NFC on your phone, for example you use Google Pay, then you will need to turn NFC on again before using it.

You could also have a hunt around where you leave your phone to see if there are any things that might have an NFC tag in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230118-143859_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230118-143859_Edge.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 2
The Tags referred to are NFC tags. It is a very short range way of swapping data, a swipe card. It is used in shop stock control and in office entry amongst other things. Most smartphones can work with NFC tags. I'm guessing that there is an NFC somewhere near your phone, it could be a on a clothing label or an entry card. You phone is trying to read to tag and getting no information back from the tag, hence the two messages.

The easiest way to stop it is to turn NFC off on you phone.
Swipe down on the notification bar at the top, you might have to swipe down twice or go right as well. You will see a button for NFC, it is a stylised N. Press this to turn it off.

If you do use NFC on your phone, for example you use Google Pay, then you will need to turn NFC on again before using it.

You could also have a hunt around where you leave your phone to see if there are any things that might have an NFC tag in.
Thanks Mono... yes, I found NFC and I think I've managed to turn it off.

I don't use it and never tap my card to pay for something. The only 'pay' thing I have on my phone is Tesco Pay+.

It hasn't beeped when I put it down LOL!!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back