• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ES80 GA vs ES80 GA ED v3 (4 Viewers)

KBHC73

England
Hi, I'm under good authority that the first ES80 has ED glass although not stated on the body. I currently use this scope with the following eyepieces HDF 23x & 32x & i'm very happy with it at my local woods watching birds & the red squirrels. Anyway is their much difference the 2 above scopes regarding quality & would it be worth picking up a used one?

Thanks in advance to anybody that takes the time to reply ; )

Paul

Hi, I'm under good authority that the first ES80 has ED glass although not stated on the body. I currently use this scope with the following eyepieces HDF 23x & 32x & i'm very happy with it at my local woods watching birds & the red squirrels. Anyway is their much difference the 2 above scopes regarding quality & would it be worth picking up a used one?

Thanks in advance to anybody that takes the time to reply ; )

Paul
Hi Paul, there might be a bit of an improvement as coatings are gradually improved - however sample variation would be a bigger factor.
Your best bet would be to use your current scope to compare with any newer used one, though ideally you need to borrow a zoom set to high power to compare the images.

Hi, Many thanks for your reply!

This is what's putting off looking for a used one as my own is very good & wouldn't want to spend say £300 for something that's only a fraction better. I do own an HDF 20-60 Zoom but i love the 23x & 32x so much that i only use the zoom for looking at the Moon!

Thanks again

Paul

Each generation of the ES 80 has had both SD and ED variants and this will be shown on the badge or labelling on the scope body.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back