• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

female Sunbird Ruhiija Uganda July (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please identify these female Sunbirds? Taken in Ruhiija Uganda July. I believe pics 1-2-3 is a female Bronze Sunbird, 4 maybe as well.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• CAT08345-D.jpg
    CAT08345-D.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 13
  • CAT08346-d.jpg
    CAT08346-d.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 12
  • CAT08347-D.jpg
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 4
  • CAT08360-D.jpg
    CAT08360-D.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 12
  • CAT08363-D.jpg
    CAT08363-D.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I don't think that you can get a definite ID from these photos alone. The first bird might well be female Bronze - they seem to like those red flowers, whatever they are, judging from my own photos - but without a clear photo of the strong supercilium and the chest streaking, how could you be sure?

You don't say why you came to this ID - was it just the presence of a male Bronze, or was there some particular feature of the birds?

The second bird lacks a strong supercilium so can't be adult female Bronze, though it might be a juvenile. However, it clearly has a projection from the centre of the tail, which limits the possibilities a lot. Assuming this bump develops into streamers, then juvenile male Bronze might indeed be a good call for this bird.

However, I think there are other possibilities in the region - e.g. Malachite Sunbird (which I've never seen) which the book specifically says likes Leonotis flowers, which might be the red flowers, or Red-chested.

(I'm not any kind of expert - these are just musings based on your photos, my limited experience and 'Birds of East Africa'.)

But if these are the only photos you have, then I'm not convinced you can be sure. Unless someone else comes along with a 'killer feature' which makes the ID certain!

The first bird was in the vicinity of a male Bronze Sunbird and the supercilium led me to suspect a female Bronze Sunbird. Thanks MacNara, Butty, and The Fern.

The first bird was in the vicinity of a male Bronze Sunbird and the supercilium led me to suspect a female Bronze Sunbird.
It really does help contributors to help questioners if - whenever possible - all the available information, including the OP's own thoughts, are given right at the outset 👍🏻

Agree. Superficially a bit like Albizia but not that. Yellow flower looks like wattle (cf Acacia, perhaps s.l. if this is an African one)
Google lens says the red plant is Calliandra houstoniana (Central America) which is plausible if the plant was in a garden, for example at a park entrance. [It said Bronze sunbird for the bird—which is also right, I think]

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back