• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First pelagic...which binos? (1 Viewer)

mtar925

I'm excited to be taking my first pelagic cruise this coming weekend, out of Half Moon Bay with Alvaro Jaramillo. Which binos should I bring?

My first-string binos are Nikon 10x42 MHG, but I think with the rocking boat I'll want lower power and a larger exit pupil. I also have my old pair of Nikon M7 8x42, and a pair of Nikon Action EX 7x35, porro-prism type.
The 7x35s are not pricey binos but being Nikon porros, they are quite decent, and l wonder if the 7x with 5mm exit pupil, good depth of field and 9.3 degree field might be just the ticket. Unlike many porros they're water resistant---though I hope that doesn't come into play!

Thanks for any tips! Among other things I'm wondering if I'll want sunglasses with gray or amber lenses, but those are light enough to bring both and see...I have some experience on boats but none since I started getting into the birds, so this all feels new.

All the Pelagic trips I have done (U.K., South Africa and New Zealand) I used 10x42 Swarovski ELs
Never felt the need for anything different.
All those trips were when I was a spectacle wearer

I’ve done pelagics with 10x Nikons and found it incredibly frustrating. Whichever is your easiest shake resistant one really. Probably lower magnification and good field of view.

I'm excited to be taking my first pelagic cruise this coming weekend, out of Half Moon Bay with Alvaro Jaramillo. Which binos should I bring?

My first-string binos are Nikon 10x42 MHG, but I think with the rocking boat I'll want lower power and a larger exit pupil. I also have my old pair of Nikon M7 8x42, and a pair of Nikon Action EX 7x35, porro-prism type.
The 7x35s are not pricey binos but being Nikon porros, they are quite decent, and l wonder if the 7x with 5mm exit pupil, good depth of field and 9.3 degree field might be just the ticket. Unlike many porros they're water resistant---though I hope that doesn't come into play!

Thanks for any tips! Among other things I'm wondering if I'll want sunglasses with gray or amber lenses, but those are light enough to bring both and see...I have some experience on boats but none since I started getting into the birds, so this all feels new.
Lucky you, you're getting the top tier with Alvaro.
I'd second Pinewood's take, the 7x35 is your best bet here, wide field and waterproof, low cost enough that you won't agonize if salt spray hits .
That said, stabilized binoculars shine on pelagics, they make it so much easier to pick up the critical details on the birds.
If you can rent a (fully waterproof) Canon 10x42 or a Fuji 14x40 for the day, I think you will have a considerably more rewarding experience.

Remember this: the center of the boat moves the least. Stay in the middle and you get far less of the dramatic movement.

You're not hiking so why not take both the 10x42 and 7x35 with you and see what works best? You'll have ample time to switch binos, and this way you'll be able to figure out for future trips where your sweet spot lies. (Most likely it will be with the lower 7x magnification.)

Wim van Dam
Solvang, CA

Yeah just take 2-3 pairs and decide which works for you. If it's calm you'll get on fine with 10x. If it's choppy 7 or 8 will serve you better. I've done a lot of pelagics with Alvaro out of Cen / N California, usually it's rough enough to want 8x or lower powered bins.

Thanks for the replies! The sea was angry that day, my friends...

A mixed swell under our 53-foot vessel + 3-foot wind waves made for a lumpy sea, as grandpa used to say. Use of any binos was problematic at times. Seeing the forecast, I brought the 7x35s only. The wide field served well in getting on birds quickly, and more magnification would have been useless. When I did use the binos I was often holding them in one hand, and holding on to the boat with the other.

Despite the challenging seas I had a great time. 17 lifers, including many Black-footed Albatross, all 3 jaegers that are typical in our area, auklets, murrelets and a graceful and uncommon (in local waters) Hawaiian Petrel. Lots of mammals, too: Humpback Whales breaching and lunge-feeding, a Fin Whale that passed within ~100 yards of the boat, a variety of dolphins and---in a major highlight of the day---a pod of 8-9 orcas that passed close enough to be seen while underwater.

Guide Alvaro Jaramillo and the crew of the New Captain Pete were top-notch---5 stars. Here's Alvaro's trip report: https://ebird.org/tripreport/153815

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back