• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FL ocular covers for SFL models (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
From the beginning, I have been rather unhappy with the ocular rain covers that come with the SFL models. (SFL30 comments and experiences, post # 6)
They are both too small, and even when trying to rasp off some inside material, they tend to stick one way or another. Part of the problem also comes from the fact that the side openings for the strap are on the smallish side. This results in stiffness with the cover movement when taking it off or putting it back on.

After giving myself some time to get accustomed, but still not being happy with the model after two months, I decided to switch to a spare cover used on FL models. For the time being, I think I may have solved the issue. The "FL"-cover is a bit on the large side, but many covers on other brand binoculars are like that as well. So we'll see how I will get along. A side benefit comes from the fact that the older covers are made from less stiff material.

The FL cover is at the bottom or to the left, also recognisable by a slightly more rounded appearance.

Attachments

• P1090223.JPG
    P1090223.JPG
    758.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P1090225.JPG
    P1090225.JPG
    719.5 KB · Views: 19
  • P1090226.JPG
    P1090226.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Glad they work. I can't walk more than 100m without the rainguard of my 8x32 FL coming off. Objective covers work fine though - prefer those to the Swarovski ELs which eventually tear loose.

Congrats on the upgrades, do the objective covers work well on the SFLs?
No, the objective covers are too small and thus can't really be used. But I never need them anyway, so no issue here.

Nevertheless, as I had mentioned in another thread, it is poor planning that the non-optical components were not made to an equal quality level as the SFL itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back