• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Galerida cristata deprimozi Lavauden 1924 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Galerida cristata deprimozi Lavauden 1924 OD Lavauden, L. (1924): Voyage de M. Guy Barbault en Tunisie: Oiseaux. — Imp. B. la Rougery, Paris, p . 71 (not seen) Seems here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Crested Lark ssp. Galerida cristata deprimozi Lavauden 1924 NCR [JS Galerida cristata arenicola]
Jean Déprimoz (d.1922) was a French taxidermist and collector who in 1914 was in India and Ceylon (Sri Lanka) with Guy Babault (q.v.).

The Key to Scientific Names
Jean Déprimoz (d. 1922) French taxidermist, collector in Tunisia (syn. Galerida cristata arenicola).

As I was not able to locate an online OD no idea if he is correct. Here seems Menegeaux. But he is mentioned as well here

Mes deux fidèles compagnons d'expédition, Jean Déprimoz et Julien Simon, excellents préparateurs auxquels j'ai adjoint deux indigènes au courant des travaux de taxidermie, sont chargés du soin délicat de préparer les peaux de nos trophées.

It would be nice to get his birth date. Assume it is not him. A picture of him here so it might worth to search for him in context with François Déprimoz.

Last edited:
Judging by the photo he would be in his thirties at the time. There are 2 possible records:

NameJean Emile Déprimoz
Birth3 Jul 1874 Chindrieux (Savoie)

NameJean Antoine Vidal Deprimoz
Birth8 May 1874 Seine-Saint-Denis, Ile de france

their marriages are attached hopefully one gives it away.

A third is 10 years younger Francois.

This account from The New York Herald of 10 Dec 1927 confused me but ultimately helped me solved the mystery!

1631746152787.png

Attachments

• 62058_b964071-00051.jpg
    62058_b964071-00051.jpg
    858 KB · Views: 4
  • 62058_b955998-00012.jpg
    62058_b955998-00012.jpg
    835.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Ok it seems there were 2 Deprimozes. This from 1917:

1631747019569.png

They are brothers and the younger brother (Francois) who did not die in Tunisia is:

NameFrançois Déprimoz
BirthJune 20 1885 Chindrieux (Savoie)

and the honouree is Jean Emile Déprimoz (1874-1922)

Last edited:
I imagine that is in " Voyage de M. Guy Barbault en Tunisie" but I don' have access. I assume it was something nasty he caught in Tunisia in 1922.

His birth here p. 34 of 447. At least this expedition here is not Tunesia and was published 1922. In filae I found a Jean Déprimoz died in Département Savoie.

Last edited:
... In filae I found a Jean Déprimoz died in Département Savoie.

Martin, it does look like "our guy" truly died in Tunisia, in 1922 ...

In La Géographie : bulletin de la Société de géographie (1924) the following Report/note was given/made:
Un terrible accident survint alors que nous partions définitivement pour le sud, entre El-Djem et Sfax, occasionnant la mort de Jean Deprimoz, de graves blessures à son frère François ainsi qu'à moi-même et obligea de ce fait la mission à interrompre ses recherches. ...

[here]

Re. the unseen OD (just to make sure); here, alt. here or here. (Note: "US access only").

Maybe some of our US friend could have a peek ... ?

/B

Last edited:
His death was a consequence of a car accident which happened on 19 Feb 1922.

p. 8 of original work (from the Hathi copy):
Les deux voyages effectués par M. BABAULT en Tunisie en 1922 et 1923 ont embrassé, en totalité, une durée d'environ six mois.
Le premier fut tragiquement interrompu, le 19 février 1922, par un accident d'automobile qui coûta la vie au préparateur Jean DÉPRIMOZ, et au cours duquel tous les membres de la Mission et M. G. BABAULT lui-même furent plus ou moins grièvement atteints.

Dedication, p. 67:
Nous avons nommé cette forme Galerida cristata déprimozi, en l'honneur de feu Jean DÉPRIMOZ, préparateur de M. BABAULT, qui trouva la mort dans le terrible accident que nous avons relaté au début de ce travail.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back