• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Spotted Woodpecker Going For Starlings (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Been witnessing my Great Spotted Woodpecker going for The Starlings. Whilst she’s been feeding on her favourite feeder which is a coconut treat, Starlings have come and she’s chased them away and everytime another came she chase it off. The Starlings have been feeding their young and pretty much hogging the feeder so usually the coconut gets empty very fast so I don’t blame her getting annoyed at the Starlings but I’ve never seen her do this before.

Hi Euan

I saw a Green Woodpecker have good old peck at this squirrel. The woodie was sitting on the sign when the squirrel ran up the post and sat next to him. He objected but lost out to the squirrel.

Goodness knows how to turn this image round!

imgonline-com-ua-resize-lZ6B35Qk96YnIAW.jpg

Hi Euan, we have GSW visiting our feeders, usually it's the sunflower hearts but at this time of year they go for the suet cake and suet balls I guess to feed their young. Today we had the adult female feeding a youngster. At all times, woe betide any other bird that tries to feed from the same feeder. A sharp stab at them from the GSWs beak sees them off.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back