• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great-tailed Grackle, Nolton Haven, Pembrokeshire 27 October 2023 (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

So the Autumn possibly concludes where it seemed to start: right down the far end of South Wales down a single track road with passing places.

A four hour drive down (it started raining as I reached the Welsh side of the Prince of Wales Bridge though the devastating shower was reserved for Port Talbot as if that wasn't bad enough already) but more or less dry as I reached the little car park with its well appointed toilet facilities.

My friend Keith was already there pointing out the Grackle to me as I emerged stiffly from my car. Whoopee: bowl up and tick makes a nice change. It lounged on a Land Rover, postured on a post-and-rails fence and was tempted down to a grassy bank by crumbled biscuit supplied by Keith as I hadn't thought to bring anything.

So a few more pictures of this very showy, confident Southern North American visitor to add to those already in other sub-fora.

Its colours were chameleon in the changing but generally dull light. Brownish and warm on the fence it changed to cold glossy bluish-black on the ground and duller, darker browns up on the bushes. Fascinating, engaging, enjoyable.

Six hours back with an hour and a half to get past Cardiff and half an hour delay at Bristol was literally hell on wheels though. The Chief Druid would do well to forget about 20mph limits and get extra lanes onto the M4 so those eager to leave his domain could do at least 20 mph. At least it stopped raining as I crossed the Prince of Wales Bridge Eastwards.

John

Great-tailed Grackle X 8

20231027 (2)_Great-tailed_Grackle.JPG20231027 (4)_Great-tailed_Grackle.JPG20231027 (6)_Great-tailed_Grackle.JPG20231027 (9)_Great-tailed_Grackle.JPG20231027 (13)_Great-tailed_Grackle.JPG20231027 (17)_Great-tailed_Grackle.JPG20231027 (18)_Great-tailed_Grackle.JPG20231027 (20)_Great-tailed_Grackle.JPG

I can see how the underparts seem to change colour, very warm to much darker but, the lack of contrast between wings and back looks fairly consistent which looks better for Great-tailed according to my Sibley.
Agreed but the wings and back also change colour from dull dark brown to fairly distinct blue-black depending on the light angle, which is interesting at least.

John

Agreed but the wings and back also change colour from dull dark brown to fairly distinct blue-black depending on the light angle, which is interesting at least.

John
But they never show (from what I can see from pics) an real contrast from each other do they?

Great pictures John.

Must admit the journeys to West Wales since September have been incredibly draining but this stretch of coastline has certainly delivered.

At least most of us can actually drive to it in a day. Getting back home admittedly, is often a bit of a ball-ache though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back