• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greenshank or Wood Sandpiper? Just outside Paris, FR -- 1 May 2023 (1 Viewer)

pjacobs

United States
I saw two greenshanks while out a flooded gravel pit just outside Paris last week. This third tringa was a bit further off, and seemed to have a much whiter lore and supercilium. Is this a Wood Sandpiper?

Cheers,
Peter

tringa1_crop.JPG tringa2_crop.JPG tringa3_crop.JPG

I initially put in a vote for Wood, based largely on the white markings on the face. Examples in first picture below of adult, non-breeding Wood from Ebird and Shorebirds, an ID Guide by Hayman et al.

Edit: I hate to be wishy-washy, but I looked up Greenshank and Wood SP in a European field guide and noticed that Greenshank is often drawn with a rather uneven demarcation between the brown uppers and white lowers. I looked on-line and sure enough, it's a trait often captured in photographs. The bottom of the wing-line of the mystery bird definitely looks more Greenshank-like than Wood. I hope my attempt to help didn't further confuse.

Attachments

• Paris Tringa.JPG
    Paris Tringa.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Greenshank.jpg
    Greenshank.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Paris Tringa 2.JPG
    Paris Tringa 2.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I agree this photo make id more difficult than it should be. We agree it's a greenshank.

Further points in favour are: bill shape (if you can decipher it), [especially] fact the supercilum is nearly non-existent behind the eye, the length of the blackish lores (much longer than wood sand), general shape (elongated, with legs apparently mid-way---favouring greenshank) and lack of clear strong patterning on the mantle (but photo quality means that would probably be difficult to discern)

I initially put in a vote for Wood, based largely on the white markings on the face. Examples in first picture below of adult, non-breeding Wood from Ebird and Shorebirds, an ID Guide by Hayman et al.

Edit: I hate to be wishy-washy, but I looked up Greenshank and Wood SP in a European field guide and noticed that Greenshank is often drawn with a rather uneven demarcation between the brown uppers and white lowers. I looked on-line and sure enough, it's a trait often captured in photographs. The bottom of the wing-line of the mystery bird definitely looks more Greenshank-like than Wood. I hope my attempt to help didn't further confuse.
Good catch. Thanks for the insights Joe, and the visuals, I found them helpful not confusing.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I feel comfortable calling this a greenshank. My initial thought looking through my bins was a greenshank. And despite the somewhat confusing facial markings, I keep going back to the the bill, it's too long for a wood sandpiper (As Butty and The_Fern mentioned).

Also, thanks Butty for pointing out my misplacement of the lore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back