• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings From Fairfield County, CT! (1 Viewer)

Raven44

Hello, all.
I love birds and birdwatching but it's really just as a casual observer. I feed hummingbirds from my feeder - and from the salvia I planted on my deck railing this summer with great success, having attracted a neighborhood baby hummer this season, my first. I used to feed other birds - tufted titmice, downy woodpeckers, yellow-bellied sapsuckers, etc, - but since I live in a condo, the association shut down all birdfeeding attempts due to an increase in mice. :C Being a rebel, I still hang a suet cake out and NO MAN will stop me. :)

Being surrounded by woods and lakes and rivers, I also observe red-tailed hawks, crows, barred owls, great-horned owls and great blue herons on a regular basis. (I'm a lucky girl.)

However, the real reason I've come here is because I've recently befriended a wild raven. I'm simply looking for more information, personal experiences, etc.

I understand that feeding ravens is a controversial subject. But my raven, R2, is and has been a single raven for at least the last 2-3 years since he's been hanging out at our condos. He has no mate.....whether he was paired up and lost his mate or has yet to find her (him?), I don't know. I've been observing him that long and only recently made contact with him by feeding him some unsalted peanuts in the shell. In turn, he comes and sits on our condo roof, calling softly to me and leaving me bits of pink insulation around my back deck as gifts.

Of course, I love all the other birds who visit, but R2 is quite special to me. I mean him no harm and understand the commitment of establishing a friendship with him. I don't want to tame him or make him into a pet or anything. I just want to be able to enjoy his majestic company without him being afraid of me.

But that's my long story. I have plenty of stories about my silly hummingbirds, too. :)

Hope to find others who love their birds as much as I do.
Thanks so much!

Hi Raven and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi ya Raven and welcome to you from Myrtle Beach :t:

Yup, sounds like you're hooked into the bird life ;)

Hi Raven and welcome to the forum. Yep, sounds like you are hooked - welcome to the birding life.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back