• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey-tailed Tattler? Hawai`i - Dec 21,2023 (1 Viewer)

Shorebirdidiot

United States
This Tattler is noticeably lighter grey and slightly smaller than the more common Wandering Tattlers I usually see here. The white eye stripes extend well beyond the eye and meet at the forehead. A close up shows a relatively short nasal groove compared to WATA. Sorry, I did not hear the call. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC_1965 Grey-tailed Tattler ?.jpg
    DSC_1965 Grey-tailed Tattler ?.jpg
    10.5 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC_1965 Nasal Groove.jpg
    DSC_1965 Nasal Groove.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 25
I take nasal groove to be the killer feature - and here it's less than ½ bill-length = grey-tailed tattler. On the other hand... supercilia don't meet on forehead = wandering tattler.

I take nasal groove to be the killer feature - and here it's less than ½ bill-length = grey-tailed tattler. On the other hand... supercilia don't meet on forehead = wandering tattler.
Frontal view. Does this help?

Attachments

• DSC_1956 GATA? forehead.jpg
    DSC_1956 GATA? forehead.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Back