• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ayrshire (1 Viewer)

JIM J

Looking for help taken at kay Park Kilmarnock ayrshire last week

Attachments

• 20230117_094650.jpg
    20230117_094650.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20230117_094514.jpg
    20230117_094514.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 20230117_094451.jpg
    20230117_094451.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
nice........well its a herring gull adult but quite darker on the grey than the nearby argenteus so thinking argentatus hoope others can help as im just starting my gull journey

Hello Jim,

do you have more pictures?
My thoughts:
  • I remember another thread, where Lou corrected my ID with comments about dark manteled Herring Gulls. Thanks again! One is here: Is this just a 3cy Herring Gull? Bucks, U.K. and I have another one in mind.
  • the first picture seems slightly overexposed, but putting all three pictures together, I struggle to exclude a LBGG here. Especially the second picture seems to show a "classsic" LBBG shade, lacking any bluish tinge/coal-grey
  • your Gull has blackish "immatue" markings on the bill. Yes, that doesnt mean it isnt a full adult bird, but that coul explain the pale pinkish legs. And thanks for the comments in the other recent thread!
  • streaking of the head gives me LBBG vibe. And please note that quite a few (yes adults) Herring Gulls has whiter/less streaked heads by mid January
  • shouldnt the white spots on the primaries be larger on a Herring Gull??? And should some grey (tongues) be visible here???
Conclusion? Yes, I would ID this as a LBBG, maybe an subadult bird. But as always better for confirmation or correction.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back