• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID please - Musselburgh, Scotland (1 Viewer)

Jaysan

Hello, Based on the size, I wondered if this was a slightly darker herring gull, but the legs were yellow. It looked too big to be a lesser black backed gull. It has a dark ring on the bill and a white tip. The red patch can also be seen on the lower bill, so its on its way to becoming an adult soon. Could it be a Yellow legged gull (3rd year-4th year)? (Seen on the 3rd of June, 2023).

Thanks for your help.
Sandeep

Attachments

• 1H0A8725.JPG
    1H0A8725.JPG
    954.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 1H0A8726.JPG
    1H0A8726.JPG
    915.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 1H0A8728.JPG
    1H0A8728.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 1H0A8732.JPG
    1H0A8732.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 48
  • 1H0A8734.JPG
    1H0A8734.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Here's a study of an individual yellow-legged gull in plumages at different times from each year, I would trust your observations at the time, see if there are any that match. (Scroll to photos)

None of the plumages seem as dark as your bird, so I would suggest lesser black-backed

Last edited:
Here's a study of an individual yellow-legged gull in plumages at different times from each year, I would trust your observations at the time, see if there are any that match. (Scroll to photos)

Thank you. Will check it out. The group photo as promised. You can see one young herring gull at the back. Regards, Sandeep

Attachments

• 1H0A8753.JPG
    1H0A8753.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 32
It might have looked too big to be a lesser-black-backed at the time because in relation to the other gulls it was standing. I think we agree that it is a lesser black-backed. Case closed, Sandeep?
It looked too bulky to be a lesser black backed gull to me. It was more herring gull size (comparing to the ones at the back). But guess the colour is darker. So I am beginning to think LBB now. Have never seen an LBB with a ring on the bill and the white at the tip. Learning as I go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back