• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull - Strathclyde Loch, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, Earth approx 11:00 this morning. (1 Viewer)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
Hi all. Probably going to embarrass myself here but this was the closest I could get to Ring-billed Gull on a brief visit this morning. Or is it “just” a Common Gull which I suspect it is. Apologies for the quality of the photos. I take shocking pictures, and I had a 30 KG Vizsla pulling at my arm. 😂

Attachments

• 52178272_Unknown.jpeg
    52178272_Unknown.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 119
  • 52178224_Unknown.jpeg
    52178224_Unknown.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 119
  • 52178096_Unknown.jpeg
    52178096_Unknown.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 118
Good and confused now... There's photos in the source linked above that show both species having a tertial-step and both species not having a tertial-step 🤔 Are we (or should we in fact have been all along) talking about width of the white tertial-crescent rather than the presence of a tertial-step?

Good and confused now... There's photos in the source linked above that show both species having a tertial-step and both species not having a tertial-step 🤔 Are we (or should we in fact have been all along) talking about width of the white tertial-crescent rather than the presence of a tertial-step?
Yes that would be a better way of talking about it, of course they both have a ‘tertial step’ but the white is very visible on Common and often lacking on Ring-billed, a couple of individuals from Cornwall, England yesterday here ( the better photos are below the G w Teal pic:
Thursday 28th December 2023 - Cornwall Birds (CBWPSTT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back