• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls do stupid things (2 Viewers)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
If folk have visited RSPB Leighton Moss in recent years they may well have seen that a nesting platform, complete with cameras, has been put up to try and tempt some ospreys. No luck yet but for the last two years Great Black-backed Gulls have nested on the platform. Unfortunately the gull chicks don't seem to grasp the fact that they are on top of a pole. Last year both chicks fell off the nest. Both survived the fall but only one fledged. Now a squabble over a feather has sent one over the edge. We wait to see if the other will join it!

Aww, poor fellows. Thinking they have found a relatively safe place to raise a brood and it is just the opposite.

I hope the one that fell out is OK.

In Glasgow I have often seen gull chicks sitting in the middle of St Enoch Square right in the city centre. They just plump themselves down in the middle of the square unaware of the danger they're in from people - the birds just sit there expecting people to move around them.

That story is interesting, but I can assure you that gulls are not stupid. The movie is about the strange behaviour of a Yellow-legged Gull (Larus michahellis), it looks like the cat with the mouse. To see to understand !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back