• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk Rescued From Car Bumper (1 Viewer)

ceasar

Last edited:
That red tail has certainly come through a lot the shock factor can be bad for birds in general lets hope his/her Progress continues afterwards, in all a lucky escape I suppose.

That red tail has certainly come through a lot the shock factor can be bad for birds in general lets hope his/her Progress continues afterwards, in all a lucky escape I suppose.

It is unfortunate but bad news about the bird comes from the 2nd Daily Newspaper we have in our area. The raptor center reported that it had to euthanize the bird because the injuries were more extensive than originally reported. See the article below:

http://www.timesleader.com/news/local-news-news/50832986/

All parties involved in rescuing and attempting to rehabilitate this bird deserve commendation.

Bob

Last edited:
It's amazing he survived after damaging a couple of car parts at Interstate speeds. I wonder if the bird was hunting in the median or roadside. Recently, I passed by a Red-tail on an exit ramp that came down from a low tree and stayed on the ground as I drove maybe 25-30 feet away. I don't recall ever seeing a road-killed Red-tail along the interstate though.

Steve

The car was one of 11 cars on a carrier being towed up Interstate 81. According to the article the driver saw a big bird flying in front of his cab which he thought went over the cab top. The driver suspected it hit one of the cars and checked it out when he arrived at his destination. That is how it was found. It hit the front car on the top of carrier. It isn't clear from the article but the bird may have been flying in front of the truck and trying to gain altitude when it was hit.

I have driven Interstates 80 and 81 in PA more times than I can remember over the years and very often I would see Red-tailed Hawks perched near it or on the median, especially near farmlands. I probably missed seeing more of them than I saw because I wasn't looking for them.

Bob

Last edited:
Sad news, I always see dead Hawks and birds on I-80 and RT-380 in the Pocono's. I hit a big Crow a few years ago on I-84 it got caught in the vehicle's draft, and it ripped off the passenger side mirror.

Mike

red tailed hawk

It is unfortunate but bad news about the bird comes from the 2nd Daily Newspaper we have in our area. The raptor center reported that it had to euthanize the bird because the injuries were more extensive than originally reported. See the article below:

http://www.timesleader.com/news/local-news-news/50832986/

All parties involved in rescuing and attempting to rehabilitate this bird deserve commendation.

Bob
Sorry to hear about the red tail yes and agree on above on all Parties.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back