• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello all, from NE London (1 Viewer)

I live in north east London, near Epping Forest and can see birds from my house. I'm fairly sure I saw a buzzard on the 20th October. It was hanging on the wind directly above me. The wings were pale and there was a dark patch about two thirds of the way towards the ends. It didn't have a forked tail. The ends of the wings looked rounded not with finger like primary feathers. I have seen it before but not as close. My best guess is a common buzzard but I'm not sure. Any comments welcome.
Thanks for all the comments and friendly greetings. I'm sure it was a common buzzard, the photo on Jonno52 posting is spot on.

Last edited:
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Cartoonman and a warm welcome from me too.

It sounds quite likely it was a Buzzard, but tell you what... I'll move your post to the ID forum. They're better than me at sorting this sort of thing out.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group

Sounds like a Common Buzzard from the description. They can be seen pretty much anywhere in the UK and the dark patch on the underwing rules out most other non-rare possibilities.

"The wings were pale and there was a dark patch about two thirds of the way towards the ends". That seems to describe the carpal patches of Common Buzzard. Have a look at this, there are some photos of the underwings of Common Buzzard. The patches are most obvious in jbpixels's photo of a light morph individual.

And of course welcome to BF, Cartoonman!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back