• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from NY! (1 Viewer)

Crazyhog

United States
Hello everyone! I purchased my first pair of binoculars in the mid 90s. It was a pair of 10x50 Minoltas that I used for some basic astronomy and as part of my patrol duty accessories. Im a retired LEO. I decided recently that I wanted a new pair with better optics to take to the range and also for observing near the shoreline. I ended up buying Vortex Vipers 10x42. I love them so far. Then again my Minoltas were not very good. I am probably going to buy a tripod. I'm not a kid anymore and definitly have more hand tremors than I did thirty years ago. I'm also contemplating a pair of Maven B5 18x56 to be able to see furthur out to the other side of the Long Island Sound, Queens. I also need a more powerful pair for shot placement at a 200 yard outdoor rifle range. I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive hobby. LOL.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20231204_155219_313.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20231204_155219_313.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail_IMG_20231204_155219_341.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20231204_155219_341.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi Crazyhog and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I’m sure the folks that hang out in the binocular area will help if needed.

I am probably going to buy a tripod. I'm not a kid anymore and definitly have more hand tremors than I did thirty years ago. I'm also contemplating a pair of Maven B5 18x56 to be able to see furthur out to the other side of the Long Island Sound...
You may want to consider an image-stabilized binocular for some purposes, or a scope (~20-60x) rather than an 18x bin for those shoreline views. You'll find plenty of advice in the Binoculars section.

You may want to consider an image-stabilized binocular for some purposes, or a scope (~20-60x) rather than an 18x bin for those shoreline views. You'll find plenty of advice in the Binoculars section.

S.3A - 20-40X67

Thanks, I am considering the Maven S.3A 20-40x67. I have thought about IS binos, but I have read mixed reviews on all of them and I am concerned with the reliability of the electronics. Im going to start with the a tripod and take it from there. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back