• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello, thank you for letting a novice in (1 Viewer)

Hello, thank you for letting a complete novice in.
Looking to glean all your knowledge, though I am running out of years.
I am going on a Fred Olsen Cruise ( not a Expedition) to Norway and Svalbard, due to ongoing events our stop at Pyramiden has been cancelled and now we have an overnight stop at Longyearbyen, could you offer any advice of where to look, I will be walking and not licenced to carry a firearm.
Thanking you in advanced, all information is a valuable asset.
regards
Afterburner

Hi AfterBurner and welcome to BirdForum from all the staff and moderators. Sorry I can’t help with your query but it sounds like a great trip.

Rich

Hi AfterBurner and welcome to BirdForum from all the staff and moderators. Sorry I can’t help with your query but it sounds like a great trip.

Rich
Hi Rich, I hope so, I will post anything I get, could be lots of snow photos. We did manage to book a boat trip which sets off at 6pm, we couldn't have done this had it not been an over night stop. the company is Better Moments, we are going on the 5 hour Catch of the Day trip. with it being daylight 24/7 hoping for anything. A normal Cruise ship, is not as good as an expedition cruise, but no way near as expensive. lots of eager spotters will get the rewards.
to put it into perspective, a 65 night cruise to South America with P&O, is cheaper than a 9 day expedition cruise to Svalbard, those who can afford it will see everything close up you get what you pay for.
regards
John

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I don't understand the firearm reference?

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I don't understand the firearm reference?
In Svalbard, you are advised to carry a Rifle outside the city limits, its to scare off Polar Bears, you are not allowed to kill the bears as they are Protected

Hi John and a warm welcome from me too. I'm sure some of our members will have been there, so you might like to post in the Information Wanted forum where they're more likely to see it.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about. Oh and please let us know how you get on... our Opus article for Svalbard only has a brief mention of Longyearben so far.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Welcome aboard John! It's good to have you here with us ;)
Please join in wherever you like.
Thank You for the Welcome KC Foggin,
I am am coming on a Cruise to USA and Canada in September, ( not my choice, Dreading almost 3 days in New York, Never been to , well anywhere, very late in life to be spreading my broken wing)
John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back