• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help I.D this Bird NSW Australia (2 Viewers)

Help needed to identify this bird

Attachments

• Help i.d.1jpg.jpg
    Help i.d.1jpg.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Help i.d.2jpg.jpg
    Help i.d.2jpg.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Help i.d.3jpg.jpg
    Help i.d.3jpg.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Help i.d.4jpg.jpg
    Help i.d.4jpg.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 28
  • Help i.d.5jpg.jpg
    Help i.d.5jpg.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Help i.d.jpg
    Help i.d.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 35
Masked Woodswallow female (not much mask), I would think. The camera exposure has slightly overexposed the bird, while leaving the sky much bluer than the eye would see it. (My Canon cameras regularly do this; I still can't work out how to overcome this.)

Masked Woodswallow female (not much mask), I would think. The camera exposure has slightly overexposed the bird, while leaving the sky much bluer than the eye would see it. (My Canon cameras regularly do this; I still can't work out how to overcome this.)
Hi MacNara, My thoughts were along the same line too but when I compared it to a small bit of footage I have of a female Masked Woodswallow there was a slight difference. Even though the female has a light mask you can still notice it and with this one you can't see one. Whether this is due to over exposer or lighting, or a different bird I do not know. Thank you for your help.

What different bird could it be?

I think it must be just the photo features I mentioned. Or maybe juvenile or moulting females have some differences?

Anyway there are several excellent Australian bird experts on Bird Forum, so I expect one or more of them will come along later.

That
What different bird could it be?

I think it must be just the photo features I mentioned. Or maybe juvenile or moulting females have some differences?

Anyway there are several excellent Australian bird experts on Bird Forum, so I expect one or more of them will come along later.
That i do not know.
I think I will go with the Woodswallow unless someone knows something different.

Obviously a woodswallow but something's bothering me about it being Masked 🤔. Maybe the amount of white in the tail. I've got woodswallows wrong before, so I'm probably being over cautious, but are we sure there aren't other options, eg some plumage of Black-faced?

camera exposure has slightly overexposed the bird, while leaving the sky much bluer than the eye would see it . . . I still can't work out how to overcome this
Back of head is slightly overexposed - the rest varies between correctly exposed and underexposed, depending (unavoidably) on shadow (sky looks sky-coloured to me - skies vary). If null auto-exposure gives you overexposure, then just set to underexpose by ⅓-⅔ stop. If (as often in sunlight) light varies widely across a scene, expose for the brightest bit (or overexpose that just slightly) and try to recover as much as possible of the dark bit in post-processing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back